Jambands.ca

Stereo purchasing advice

DevO

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much are you planning on spending for your speakers and turntable? I'm not sure what he still has but my brother was doing a bit of liquidating of some of his older stock. He's pretty busy (works full time as a teacher and helping his wife with her business) so he was moving more into the extremely high end to narrow his clientele. He might have some sweet speakers kicking around. Not sure though, even before he decided to upgrade his shop, it was still pretty high end. Sometimes he gets things on trade in that he doesn't have on his web page. arcadia audio Sometimes I can get friends deals... sometimes. He sells me stuff at cost. :content:

Edited by Guest

I emailed my bro this is what he replied:

I have a brand new pair of brand new LSA .5 monitors for 1/2 price, $499+tx

A pair of Q-Acoustics floor standing speakers for $290+tax

In that price range?

As for tt's I can a new TD158 for $449+tx

He also has the amp found below, for a bargain of only $24,700, 1000watt/chan, 100 lbs. ya know, for when you're ready to upgrade :P

refamp.jpg

If you could squeeze those lsa's into your budget, you'd be getting some pretty amazing speakers at an awesome deal. Any good system shoukld start with great speakers. You're not going to find that sort of quality/price at future shop. I can get more info or put you in touch with him if either of those will help you out. I have a dual turntable here collecting dust I'd give to you if I could figure out a way to get it to you. I love seeing people get into this shit.

Hey BR, thanks for looking into this stuff for me. Your bro's stuff looks amazing but unfortunately looks to be out of my price range. I'm very much going for an entry level set up here. I've set out with a rough budget of $400 (for speakers, receiver and turntable). I dropped $150 on the receiver so that leaves me with $250 or mayyybe up to $300 left to work with max.

So my next mission is to find a pair of speakers that will be ideal and complimentary match-up with the Akai AA-1135 receiver that I picked up last night. The receiver is packing 35 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo). Suggestions warmly welcome!

I wish I could get that Dual turntable off you somehow! Do you ever go in to Toronto or Hamilton? Supercrawl in Hamilton this weekend perhaps?

I'm in the middle of a bathroom reno so prob can't make it to Hamilton this weekend, but ya never know... I get around. If we can figure it out, it's yours. With a free turntable and a little negotiating we might be able to get you into those q-acoustics. ;)

Edited by Guest

I'm in the middle of a bathroom reno so prob can't make it to Hamilton this weekend, but ya never know... I get around. If we can figure it out, it's yours. With a free turntable and a little negotiating we might be able to get you into those q-acoustics. ;)

Well if that worked out, that would be pretty awesome. :cool:

70s Marantz have amazing sounds.

You can get good deals on great sounding paradigm 7se or 5se floor speakers.

I run a Marantz 2215 and (I think)2265 both with paradigm speakers and they sounds awesome.

my turntable is a Sansui floating deck. Also sounds great, although I could likely use a new connection.

but ya, check out the paradigms. Canadian made.

Hey all,

A colleague of mine has offered me some old speakers for free: JVC SP-UXD88Y bookshelf speakers.

Question: Will these speakers be compatible with (even complimentary to) the Akai AA-1135 receiver that I just bought?

I can't find much information about these speakers online except for this old ad on Canuck Audio Mart. The pictures from the ad tell me that these are 30 watt speakers with 4 ohms.

The Akai AA-1135 receiver that I've got is packing 35 watts per channel into 8 ohms.

Any thoughts on that combo?

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently jumped into the game myself; I dug the old family stereo system out of my Mom's basement and - surprise, surprise - everything works great. I'm currently running a Dual 1258 turntable, Sherwood S-9180 CP receiver, and Zenith Allegro Speakers, with everything being about 30 or so years old. The setup may not be fancy, but it sounds beautiful, and really makes me realize what I've been missing by using computer speakers almost exclusively for the past few years.

I do have one question:

How would I go about adding a pair of wireless speakers into this equation? I'd like to keep the Zenith ones running in the living room, but would like to be able to listen on a smaller wireless pair when I'm in the kitchen. I'd like to have them both going at once, rather than an either/or situation. This can't be all that complicated, can it?

Nice that you were able to just plug in and go Hart! I am searching every day and still trying to get my hands on speakers and a turntable. I've learned that the trade-off for not having a big pile of money to drop is that it takes time and patience.

Is that deal on the Q-Acoustics still on the table BR??

One step closer folks! I picked up a Dual CS 616Q last night for $90.

616q.jpg

Made in West Germany in the early 80s, direct drive, semi automatic, quartz controlled, ortofon cartridge with about 1,000 hours left on it, and in great shape overall.

More sexy pics: http://audiolesswpg.blogspot.ca/2012/12/dual-cs-616q-turntable.html

Next up is speakers. I'm now mostly looking for a set of Dynaco A-25s or A-25 XLs. :)

Edited by Guest

Nice that you were able to just plug in and go Hart! I am searching every day and still trying to get my hands on speakers and a turntable. I've learned that the trade-off for not having a big pile of money to drop is that it takes time and patience.

Is that deal on the Q-Acoustics still on the table BR??

I believe he still has them.

I don't know how they can tell you how many hours are left on the cartridge but anyway, get yourself a stylus cleaner. It's just a little jar of liquid with a wee brush. I clean mine pretty much before every side I listen to if I'm listening to old records, not as much when listening to new records. This is a very important step, don't not do it. Don't be using no q-tips. That won't work :) They're prob only about 10 bucks a bottle and a bottle lasts a really long time. They should not be too hard to find. And you're going to want a little non static brush to clean dust off records as you are playing them. Also prob around 10 bucks give or take. These 2 little purchases will help you extend the stylus' life and make everything sound good. Remember, clean is good, dirty is crackles.

Edited by Guest

Yeah, the instant gratification was nice. Good luck with your search.

Anybody have any advice on my wireless question?

I'm trying to do something similarish myself, Hart. I think one main question is what sort of output options does your amp/receiver have? Relatively easy solution is you have the choice of Spkr A or B or A + B.

If yuo don't have this option then I have seen devices that are essentially splitters whereby you run a cable to it then have the option of adding other outputs (the ones I've seen are RCA cable based).

As far as wireless speakers go, I've heard the technology has improved a lot and I've seen bluetooth options that claim to have a 100' range but I've had a tough time researching actual ranges.

Also the wireless speakers you tend to see advertised all seem cheaply made (my late uncle in-law had some outdoor wireless speakers but they sounded really crappy) and/or they're made for use in a home theatre surround sound setup, all of which makes me think that running a speaker wire the length of the house might be the easier way to go, at least for the time-being (i.e. until someone I trust gives me sound advice).

I think we're in for $100 for such a transmitter/receiver

I don't know how they can tell you how many hours are left on the cartridge but anyway, get yourself a stylus cleaner. It's just a little jar of liquid with a wee brush. I clean mine pretty much before every side I listen to if I'm listening to old records, not as much when listening to new records. This is a very important step, don't not do it. Don't be using no q-tips. That won't work :) They're prob only about 10 bucks a bottle and a bottle lasts a really long time. They should not be too hard to find. And you're going to want a little non static brush to clean dust off records as you are playing them. Also prob around 10 bucks give or take. These 2 little purchases will help you extend the stylus' life and make everything sound good. Remember, clean is good, dirty is crackles.

+1!

A few years ago I went to Bay Bloor Radio for their free turntable clinic. They setup your table in front of you - check speed, tone arm alignment, cartridge position, etc... and they tie it all together with a sales pitch about what you need to buy for maximum listening pleasure. You get to see the stylus under a microscope before and after cleaning with a stylus brush - the difference is pretty cool. I left with the gospel of 3 magic items that really help the turntable's sound (providing the turntable keeps proper speed and is setup correctly).

- stylus brush and anti-static record brush

- anti-static turntable mat - the thick felt type to replace the stock mat

- good quality cartridge (This is where they broke me... I went for the $100 Grado red series)

I'm just about out of that stylus cleaner and am wondering if 99% isopropyl alcohol would do the trick? I can't remember but there may be a silicone component to the original cleaner.

I don't think the alcohol would work as well there's no lubrication and probably not very good for the cartridge. I don't like using that stuff on my records to clean them either. I prefer "Pledge" over the "Off" though, gives it more of a waxy sound, which is what you're looking for in these situations, and I like the lemony scent.

Edited by Guest