Jambands.ca

Stereo purchasing advice

DevO

... as well as Locke Street Audio ...

I called and reserved a piece of equipment there last year, and was in the store within the hour, only to witness the last one being sold to another customer who had walked in. She didn't even need it, they were just upselling her. "You should have called and reserved it" was their response to me. "Um, I did" ... "Oh yeah, he did, sorry I forgot."

I drove out to Natural Sound in Kitchener where they seem to actually value their customers. Was cheaper there too.

I would never advise anyone to shop at Locke Street Audio. They are complete asshole dicks.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good calls on the cartridge juice, stylus brush, anti-static record brush and anti-static turntable mat.

I'd like to go to one of those Bay Bloor clinics. Will check out their site. The Rev also recommended bringing my table in to Bay Bloor Radio.

I'm gonna go ahead and ask a stupid question: why is no-static important? To keep dust off I guess?

RE: Locke St Audio... Good to know (and sorry to hear). Actually I think that shop might be a goner now. I couldn't find it when I was down there a few weeks ago.

Edited by Guest

Static is one of the causes of crackles when you listen to vinyl. Don't go quoting me because I've been known to be wrong more times than I'm right, but basically a needle is a stationary object and the record is a moving object. so you get a "ballons stuck to a wall" situation happening and hair sticking up, which is all fun and shit at a birthday party, but makes your records sound like shit. The last thing you want to do is create more static by holding a stationary brush over a moving record (or a moving brush over a stationary record), hence the non static brush. The needle is very sensitive and will pick up everything. A bunch of dust collected up on the needle will sound crackly and shity, so you want to brush the dust off (the needle and the record), but want to avoid static, which will also make noise through the needle.

I'm kinda drunk, hope that made sense. you'll get it. just start playing records and you'll start to pick out your weak points and trying to improve on them. One of the first things you will find that needs improving, is keeping your stylus clean and records dust free, and then...... etc.

Edited by Guest

Cool. I am going to see and hopefully buy a pair of Dynaco A-25 speakers tomorrow night. The finishing touch. In other news, I picked up the following on vinyl this weekend:

- Little Feat - Waiting for Colombus

- Ronnie Hawkins & The Hawks live in the UK circa 82

- The Band - Rock of Ages

- Paul Simon - Graceland

- Jackie Mittoo - Showcase Vol 3

Well folks, the system is now complete. Last night I picked up an incredibly sweet sounding pair of Dynaco A-25s, built in Denmark in 1970 and all original parts still.

:relax:

Dynaco also distributed the famous SEAS 'A-Series' of bookshelf loudspeakers that were manufactured in Denmark, using input from Dynaco's David Hafler and SEAS' Ragnar Lian. The A-Series were marketed between from 1970 until Dynaco's demise in the 1980s. The Dynaco A-25 model proved to be extremely successful, selling over 600,000 units. A modified aperiodic bass reflex design using SEAS speakers in a handsome wood cabinet, the A-25 sold for $79.95 each in 1969[2] making it competitive with much more expensive loudspeakers. The patented aperiodic (essentially non-resonant) woofer design utilized a highly damped vent instead of a reflex port, whose acoustic resistance is very carefully controlled. The resistant venting action lowered the "Q" of the system and reduced impedance variation near resonance in the A-Series speakers

Here they are:

OO8ub6El.jpg

H4vlrr7l.jpg

6yHmHgFl.jpg

The Akai AA-1135 receiver was $150. I think it needs cleaning/servicing and in hindsight I might have been able to find something else, but I don't regret it. Gotta get your feet wet at some point.

The Dual CS 616 Q turntable was $90 I think.

The Dynaco A-25 speakers were $180.

So that adds up to $420. Only $20 over budget! I've dropped another $30 or so on cables, wires and a cable splicer tool.. Gotta get some of that turntable maintenance gear still, and yes I will be spending a lot more on vinyl moving forward.

Cool. I am going to see and hopefully buy a pair of Dynaco A-25 speakers tomorrow night. The finishing touch. In other news, I picked up the following on vinyl this weekend:

- Little Feat - Waiting for Colombus

- Ronnie Hawkins & The Hawks live in the UK circa 82

- The Band - Rock of Ages

- Paul Simon - Graceland

- Jackie Mittoo - Showcase Vol 3

Excellent choices, sir. I picked up Graceland earlier this week, and it never sounded so good.