Jambands.ca

Habs Fans Forum 2014

badams

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Low Roller

Still hurts that Gorges was traded away, but I do think that the Habs have got a better team on the ice with Emelin going back to his natural side, and Tom Gilbert picking up Gorges' minutes and shot blocking.

BwJPMMcCQAEA08D-520x600.jpg

Umm, improved? Sideways salary shedding, at best, but you are clearly underestimating the loss of leadership Gionta and Gorges employed. Hopefully the young lads like PK are ready to carry that load but no one is going to truly know for a while whether or not they are capable.

Guest Low Roller

Umm, improved? Sideways salary shedding, at best, but you are clearly underestimating the loss of leadership Gionta and Gorges employed. Hopefully the young lads like PK are ready to carry that load but no one is going to truly know for a while whether or not they are capable.

Well yes, the leadership loss is significant. I did say a better product on the ice, and made no reference to what goes on behind the scenes. 

I hope that they are enough veteran players who can fill the leadership void. I think this will be one of the main reasons as to why Moen will see steady play, at least at the start of the year. He is a respected veteran, and there is no way they put him up in the pressbox until the locker room leaders emerge and settle in.

Guest Low Roller

Putting Emelin on his natural side is not an improvement?

Yes, losing Gorges shot blocking will hurt and put more pressure on the goalies. Not sure that Tom Gilbert is a like-for-like swap, but he does have a higher offensive upside than Gorges ever did. 

As of now the D-corps looks something like

Markov-Subban

Emelin-Gilbert

Beaulieu-Weaver

Tinordi

Depth: Pateryn, Drewiske

"higher offensive upside" - Yeah, a whole 14 pts separated them last season so I ask you this?

At what cost? How much more improved will Emelin be? If anything, not having to recuperate from a serious illness will help but these guy's are professionals. Playing the left or right side shouldnt make that much of a difference to them or else you would never see it happen.

"As of now the D-corps looks something like"................terrifying at the moment. They weren't deep last year and they are more shallow this year. Beaulieu looked positively terrified during the playoffs. I suspect he isnt ready. Hope I am wrong but you keep on plowing this into you bud:

kool-aid.jpg

Bergevin is apparently kicking the tires on Martin Brodeur.

Why??

Just read about that this morning, and I was wondering the same thing to be honest. Admittedly, I haven't been keeping up with much about the topic so maybe I'm missing some facts here, but from the articles I've read that quote Brodeur, he kind of makes it sound like this will be his last season. I get the "he'll bring great leadership and morale to the team" angle, and that Montreal is his hometown. I imagine it's a great feeling to finish such a successful career like his at home and can totally see why he would be up for it. But is having a veteran in his pay grade, possibly only as a back-up, really worth it opposed to investing in players who'll be around for a while instead? 

Given all you have said Esau (and I agree with it), a convenient story is all this is. Its highly doubtful (anything is possible) that there is any truth/possibility of this happening.

1 - MTL already has 2 backups, so one would have to be moved (Budaj is the consensus).

2 - The market is absolutely FLOODED with goalies, so much so Brodeur doesnt have a job on the eve of NHL training camps opening. We arent talking about any goalie here. We are talking about arguably the greatest goalie to ever play the game.

So lets say Budaj is on the block. Is there a GM out there who is going to trade for him knowing they can sign Brodeur as a backup? You would be fucking crazy to do so and immediately fired if I were the owner. Budaj is terrible. I dont even need to make an argument here. Just look at what happened when Price went down in the playoffs.

Here's how I saw things play out. As of last week, Brodeur was out of work and was asked "Would you sign in MTL if they came calling?" Of course he is going to say "Yes". He is looking for work and obviously running out of options quick. Now certain folk within the french media have something to run with. What do we here next? That Bergevin is looking to bring Brodeur in as a Hab?

How convenient of you to get this story out there Mr Vincent Damphousse. I really dont know how Low Roller continually fawns over these types of stories. There's a hundred of them a season coming out of MTL. I figured he would have learned by now.

Guest Low Roller

A complete a total professional and gentleman. He wore the Captaincy with honour and class, despite all the language subcontexts that shadowed him the entire time. He was the only constant and sign of hope during THE dark period in Habs history. 

Jersey retirement discussions are well under way now. Didn't win a Cup? Big deal. He beat cancer!

koivu_cancer510.jpg