Jambands.ca

Lest we forget

phishtaper

Proud, yet relieved my little brother has completed his service intact and thankful he decided to not re-up after 20+ years of service. He served Canadian Navy - HMCS Toronto & Iroquois and after moving to UK he enlisted in the QRAF. Twice to Afghanistan and Iraq.

I attended the service this morning in Hamilton and was proud and humbled to stand & chat with some WWII and Afghan vets. It made me feel a bit closer to my great grandfathers & grandfathers who had served. Three of which never returned to home, which made me realize just how lucky I am that my brother did.

At the same time angered me to no end knowing that no war in my lifetime has truly been fought in the name of democracy & freedom but only greed in the guise of the former. One day I hope the corporatocracy will be resisted completely and we no longer send our brothers, sisters, fathers & mothers to their deaths in another senseless war.

The tragedy of modern war is that the young men die fighting each other - instead of their real enemies back home in the capitals. - Edward Abbey