Jambands.ca

Your top albums of 2013...

c-towns

Not surprising that none of mine are on pitchforks top 400 albums of the year list as I did have a gander and give a listen to a number of new albums I didn't know of, pretty much all of them being very disappointing. I don't get how they seemingly make up sub genres to describe music like dream pop or shoegaze or drone or chillwave, what the hell are those?

Here are mine, I am always a fan of seeing some peoples lists on here, mostly the ones that aren't in the top 400 of pitchforks list...

The Wood Brothers - The Muse

Blitzen Trapper - IIV

The Avett Brothers - Magpie and the Dandelion

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes - Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes

Houndmouth - From The Hills Below The City

Arcade Fire - Reflektor

Mikal Cronin - MCII

Jason Isbell - Southeastern

Sky Ferreria - Night Time, My Time

Also Deer Tick's "Negativity". Took me a while to fall in love with that album but I love it now.

Edited by Guest

Guest Low Roller

Arcade Fire- Reflektor

Atoms For Peace- AMOK

Boards of Canada- Tomorrow's Harvest

Flaming Lips- The Terror

Moderat- II

HM: In Utero 20th anniversary edition

HM: Nine Inch Nails- Hesitation Marks

Something like that...

Blitzen Trapper - VII

Foxygen - We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors...

Hayden - Us Alone

Charles Bradley - Victim of Love

The National - Trouble Will Find Me

Neko Case - The Worse Things Get...

Arcade Fire - Reflektor

Deep Dark Woods - Jubilee

Okkervil River - The Silver Gymnasium

Jason Isbell - Southeastern

I think that Neko Case, The National and Blitzen Trapper would share second prize, with Jason Isbell winning album of the year. When I first heard that one I don't think I listened to anything else for at least 2 weeks.

The most disappointing release of the year for me belongs to Dr. Dog. Not that it sucked, but it just didn't have the chutzpah of their 3 or 4 albums and I was expecting to love it after hearing the awesome first single, Broken Heart, weeks before the album dropped (read: leaked).

Edited by Guest

Not surprising that none of mine are on pitchforks top 400 albums of the year list as I did have a gander and give a listen to a number of new albums I didn't know of, pretty much all of them being very disappointing. I don't get how they seemingly make up sub genres to describe music like dream pop or shoegaze or drone or chillwave, what the hell are those?

I assume you're being facetious but just in case... what list are you referring to? Pitchfork does a top 50 and it isn't out yet.

Not surprising that none of mine are on pitchforks top 400 albums of the year list as I did have a gander and give a listen to a number of new albums I didn't know of' date=' pretty much all of them being very disappointing.[/quote']

I assume you're being facetious but just in case... what list are you referring to? Pitchfork does a top 50 and it isn't out yet.

Guess I should have said based on pitchforks rating system list

http://www.albumoftheyear.org/ratings/1-pitchfork-highest-rated/2013/1

I don't get how they seemingly make up sub genres to describe music like dream pop or shoegaze or drone or chillwave' date=' what the hell are those?[/quote']

As for the sub genres, I was totally serious, who do these hipsters think they are?

My Bloody Valentine - MBV

Hayden - Us Alone

Charles Bradley - Victim of Love

White Denim - Corsicana Lemonade

London Grammar - if you wait

Nitemares on Wax - Feelin’ Good

DJ Koze - Amygdala

Jim Guthrie - Takes Time

Johnny Marr - The Messenger

Kurt Vile - Wakin’ on a prety Daze

Lusine - The Waiting Room

Phosphorescent - Muchacho

Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the city

Is it that hard to look shit up??

Pffffttttt, according to Wiki;

"The term Dream pop is often used, particularly in the United States, to describe bands who were part of the shoegazing scene, and shoegazing is seen as a part of dream pop."

My point exactly, hipsters making shit up to sound cool, its all the same.

Is it that hard to look shit up??

Pffffttttt' date=' according to Wiki;

"The term Dream pop is often used, particularly in the United States, to describe bands who were part of the shoegazing scene, and shoegazing is seen as a part of dream pop."

My point exactly, hipsters making shit up to sound cool, its all the same.

[/quote']

LOOK AT YOU... Just try and read the map brah

348185207_0362985450.jpg

It was pretty obvious Yeezus would get album of the year when they gave it a 9.5.

Curveball!

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9293-the-top-50-albums-of-2013/

Can someone explain what's so great about the new Vampire Weekend album? I try to get into this band but lose intereest after a few spins. They're OK I guess. Should I be paying more attention to the lyrics?