Jambands.ca

Neil Young's Pono music system ready to take on MP3's and the like

c-towns

Are people ready to drop 399 bucks for this unit? Seems like another company already has a stranglehold on that market. Gonna be interesting to see how this plays and I hope Neil Young et al wins rather than getting Ponownd.

Edited by Guest

Looks cool. BUT are people ready to start dropping $15-$25 per digital album download once again? For music that they have already paid for 1,2,3 times in the past in other formats?

A percentage of people will. People will steal music in this format also.

Love the idea that musicians like Neil are taking initiatives now-a-days regarding their music, it's availability in different formats and doing a good job to keep up (in line?) with the new techs. Especially when the industry is dragging it's feet. Opting instead to lobby gov't for tighter legislation, DRMs or pursue the courts for millions rather than adapt.

It's a great idea and the consideration taken regarding the quality of the components and attention to uses other than just headphones is welcoming. I also like that it isn't itune dependant. I get that some 'convenience' sacrifices have to be made in exchange for quality. But even though the design & shape make sense in that regard, the triangular shape just seems too cumbersome. Especially when the warmer weather come around.

I don't understand how this is any better than the FLAC files I currently listen to on my Samsung player. I don't use I tunes and it's all lossless.

I believe the majority of FLAC files you download on the internet or what you rip directly from a CD is 1411 kbps (44.1kHz/16 bit) for the most part although I do see some 2304 kbps (48kHz/24 bit) floating around too. It appears Pono is looking to go beyond that to 9216 kbps (192kHz/24 bit) though I haven seen their numbers anywhere.

Here is someone's perspective that actually used one (who knows how they are tied to the industry though)

"At first, I didn’t notice any real difference. The guitars and light drumming that open Heart Of Gold seemed standard to me. However, when Young’s vocals cut in, that was when my eyes widened. It actually sounded like Neil Young was singing the song into my ear from an inch away, the clarity in his voice unlike anything I’d ever heard before. As a kid who grew up in the digital age, it was almost ominous to me.

I then decided to try out Bob Dylan’s Blowing In The Wind. As soon as the song started, I exclaimed, (extremely loud due to the noise canceling nature of the headphones), “This Dylan song is sick!†The instruments had a much fuller and more prominent sound, and you feel like you’re sitting in a small room watching Bob Dylan or Neil Young sing their classic tunes.

Finally, the last song I tried was Metallica’s Enter Sandman, this time using a pair of standard issued Apple headphones. With this one, I was surprised to actually hear more sounds than the version I have on my iPod, which I believe I ripped from YouTube circa 2007. Needless to say, this was probably the most impressive of the three tracks, with the roaring guitars and James Hetfield’s aggressive vocals searing my eardrums."

quote source

I don't understand how this is any better than the FLAC files I currently listen to on my Samsung player. I don't use I tunes and it's all lossless.

Take the band's CD and rip it to FLAC...

...you're still getting a FLAC of a CD.

Perhaps a majority of the music you have was converted to FLAC in the studio/mastering process but was all of it?

I think there's going to be a real emphasis on official high quality rips.