Jambands.ca

Bluesfest 2014

AD

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[spoilerq:1]They were here from the future to warn everyone about Foreigner's setlist for tonight.[/spoilerq]

[spoilera:1]Double Vision

Head Games

Cold as Ice

Waiting for a Girl Like You

Feels Like the First Time

Urgent

Starrider

Juke Box Hero

Encore:

I Want to Know What Love Is

Hot Blooded

[/spoilera]

Edited by Guest

Well, there goes another Bluesfest. I had a good time, though I sure do miss the days when all of y'all were onsite every day.

I made a point of trying to curb my spending and in doing so kept track of what I bought. I spend just $92 onsite this year, attending nine of the ten days.

I saw:

Beth Hart

Gary Clark Jr.*

Darius Rucker

Journey^

Sly & Robbie

Jeff Tweedy

JJGrey & MOFRO

Lady Gaga*

DBT

Dave Alvin & Phil Alvin

Violent Femmes

St. Vincent

Cypress Hill

Bombino*

Trombone Shorty*

Procol Harum w/ NACO

Blondie

The Band Perry

John Mayall

BNL*

Bob Saget

Deltron 3030^

Little Freddie King

Thornetta Davis

Snoop Dogg

Dr. Hook^

Goddo

(*=exceptionally good, ^=exceptionally bad)

Plus I got to play a set on the Black Sheep stage yesterday with the Be In The Band Instructor Showcase* which was very sweaty and tons of fun.

Goddo

(*=exceptionally good, ^=exceptionally bad)

So exceptionally bad they were good I'd say. Please clear something up for me... at one point were they not lip-synching/miming to the intro of one of their songs? It was the closest thing to a Spinal Tap moment I've ever witnessed at a live concert and I don't trust my memory anymore.

Journey^

Just curious as to why you thought Journey was exceptionally bad. To me, it was high energy, professionally played and well sung (unlike Dr. Hook). It wasn't life changing, but it certainly delivered what I expected from a Journey concert and I had fun. I know everyone around me seemed to be enjoying it, and I dare say if anyone didn't enjoy it at all, then maybe they just don't like Journey (no sin in that, but then why be there in the first place?)

I also had fun at Dr. Hook , but I can't say it was great. Ray Sawyer was singing a bunch of song where, for the most part, he was not the original lead singer and for which is voice was completely unsuited. Don Felder at least had the sense to back himself up with musicians who were also strong singers, to give his band a solid group vocal sound that is necessary for the Eagles material he was playing (plus I have always maintained that Felder is a decent singer, just not at the standard of Don Henley ... besides, hey, Don Felder wailing on guitar). Ray Sawyer should have tried something like that, but he instead carried pretty much the whole load himself, and his vocals are just not up to it.

Another weak vocalist was Kimberly Perry from the Band Perry. They weren't unprofessionally bad, but I did find her singing voice slight with not much behind it. Certainly not nearly as good as those from Lady Antebellum a few days prior.

Edited by Guest

Journey^

Just curious as to why you thought Journey was exceptionally bad. To me' date=' it was high energy, professionally played and well sung (unlike Dr. Hook). It wasn't life changing, but it certainly delivered what I expected from a Journey concert and I had fun. I know everyone around me seemed to be enjoying it, and I dare say if anyone didn't enjoy it at all, then maybe they just don't like Journey (no sin in that, but then why be there in the first place?)

I also had fun at Dr. Hook , but I can't say it was great. Ray Sawyer was singing a bunch of song where, for the most part, he was not the original lead singer and for which is voice was completely unsuited. Don Felder at least had the sense to back himself up with musicians who were also strong singers, to give his band a solid group vocal sound that is necessary for the Eagles material he was playing (plus I have always maintained that Felder is a decent singer, just not at the standard of Don Henley ... besides, hey, Don Felder wailing on guitar). Ray Sawyer should have tried something like that, but he instead carried pretty much the whole load himself, and his vocals are just not up to it.

Another weak vocalist was Kimberly Perry from the Band Perry. They weren't unprofessionally bad, but I did find her singing voice slight with not much behind it. Certainly not nearly as good as those from Lady Antebellum a few days prior.

[/quote']

Dr. Hook made a big impression on me musically as a child and with that in mind I hope Sawyer stops touring soon. He just canèt sing the tunes, despite having what I thought was an excellent backup vocalist on bass.

The lead vocalist from Journey is so close to Steve Perry yet so very far away, and the difference made the show painful (too strong a word perhaps), and the playing, while overall correctly done was the epitome of uninspired.

Goddo

So exceptionally bad they were good I'd say. Please clear something up for me... at one point were they not lip-synching/miming to the intro of one of their songs? It was the closest thing to a Spinal Tap moment I've ever witnessed at a live concert and I don't trust my memory anymore.

That song was "Tough Times" and it was really weird that they played the recorded version (but the singing was live). I don't understand why they had to the play the recorded version, it's a very easy song to play on guitar. They should have left it out of the set if they couldn't play it live.

regarding Journey and the karaoke singer, it seems odd that this is acceptable these days. Steve Perry's aged voice should be part of the music, not a replacement with a replica of a younger Steve Perry.

Imagine if the Wing's toured with a popular YouTube impersonator of paul mccartney. Actually, now that I'm imagining it, I'd go see that for sure.

Guest Low Roller

I'm curious about why you thought Deltron 3030 were "exceptionally bad". From what I saw online I loved their live sets, and I'm a big fan of their albums. Is it a personal dislike of hip-hop? Some other factor?

Evidence of a good time (for me):

i thought deltron was awful, even though last time they were at bluesfest i absolutely loved it.

there were no horns, unless they came out after i bailed. it did not seem musical to me at all, no guitars or jams, just bad rapping. after 3-4 songs i'd had enough, maybe it got better after that, but the beginning of the set was terrible IMO.

Actually, now that I'm imagining it, I'd go see that for sure.

paullansbury.jpg

On behalf of all things family related my brother, please delete your browsing history in case there is a catastrophic failure with your breathing. Immediately. Also, do a search for any file using this as your search term PaulaLansbury*.* and delete them all.

Thanks in advance for caring about our family name.

In the past 10 years if I bailed on Phish shows based on the first 3 or 4 songs I wouldnt have seen any instead of the 10 or so I actually stuck around for ;-)

that's true enough. like i said, maybe it got better after i left but what i heard was definitely awful.