Jambands.ca

MLB Instant Replay

boiler

Instant replay in baseball sucks. I liked it better when mangers rushed out spitting mad to argue calls, rather than walking out and just asking for a review and walking back to the dugout.

I was watching the Giants game last night, one review took 4min 35sec or there abouts. Now, if they had some cheerleaders, out there shaking it during a review, then maybe it would be ok. But they don't. It makes the game slower. Baseball does not need to be made any slower. Unless there were cheerleaders. Then it would be ok.

Edited by Guest

Agreed. This is what I wrote on FB the other day about it:

"Just watched a bang-bang play at first get reversed due to video replay. That's going to take some getting used to for me. While I get it, I think I'll miss the human element and the role it has played in being part of the game for as long as it has. Call me old fashioned or whatever, the subjectivity of the ump is part of what makes the game the game!"

And you totally hit the nail on the head with the umps not kicking and screaming. That part sucks the most!

Edited by Guest

It has taken a lot out of the game. I'd like to see it scraped. It makes no sense that some plays they can use it, like your example, and others can't (balls and strikes) They can over rule a close play on the bags but a pitch can be a mile out of the strike zone, and get called a strike and this is not reviewable. Stupid. The umps making occasional mistakes was part of the game.

Guest Low Roller

Baseball is so damn boring already. This is the worst thing that could possibly happen to it.

Technology is the solution here.

What you do is essentially create a open loop circuit that is closed when a negatively charged baseball is connected to the positively charged base via the body of the player catching the ball while touching the base (the glove is positively charged, while the kleets are negatively charged in order to create a current path in the players' body).

Similarily the player running to the base will have the same negatively charged kleets, with the addition of a positively charged batters helmet to create his own charge path to the base.

The base will detect which charge path is closed first through the subtle differences in charge current.

Done.

• 6 months later...