Jambands.ca

Greensky Bluegrass

Hartamophone

This band is absolutely killing it right now. Their new album If Sorrows Swim (which cracked the Billboard 200 and debuted at #1 on the bluegrass charts) is quite strong, but their live shows are what matters and they are hitting home runs nightly. With Jeff Austin having left Yonder, I feel like GSMFBG is poised to take the title as reigning kings of jamgrass (non-Salmon category).

• 1 month later...

Yeah, caught the afternoon Vegas show.  At first I wasnèt too impressed; it just wasn't bluegrassy enough for me.  Eventually I moved towards the back of the room and started liking it a lot more.  One thing for sure - the singer has a great voice, a rare thing in the jam scene.

Windshield is a very pop sounding song (in a good way). I think it's a song that really shows their growth and pushing it to the next level. They're songwriting is as solid as it gets. I absolutely love this band. Been listening to If Sorrow Swims on repeat for a month now.

I saw a thread on facebook the other day where there fans were trying to decide what to name themselves (myself too I guess but I didn't participate in the convo). "Campers" seemed to be the most popular choice.

I am big fan of their stuff and especially their live show.  Loving the new album too!   they blew the roof off of the bluebird theater in Denver in 2011 for my first show, phoned it in in Detroit in 2012 to my chagrin but then ripped Delfest a new bunghole this past spring.....AND let me just say that after seeing Yonder at that same Delfest, that Yonder still has a very real grasp of the jamgrass title.  Granted they had Jerry friggin' Douglas on dobro that show and mandolin virtuoso and Nashville session regular John Frazier on mandolin, but the songs were the songs and they still had everyone tearing it up in the 30 degree afternoon heat.  Adam is filling the gaps on vocals (thank god, never been a fan of Austin's voice) nicely and i doubt that they'll even miss a beat.  

The Infamous Stringdusters are the absolute sh!t when you're talking talent.  Seen many, many.....hell, i'll throw in another, many bluegrass bands in my day but have never come across a more talented group.  skill wise, they're the best right now and my hands down favourite bluegrass band.....perhaps more to the bluegrass side of things but they're not playing covers like When Doves Cry, Beat It or Bust A Move that just, in my opinion, don't help their cause.  Neat to see but  musically reaching....and messy.  Don't get me wrong, GsBs's covers are what distinguishes them and what helps put them in the, AND excel in the "jam"grass genre in the first place, just not my cup o' tea.....overall....only one guy's opinion after all.

can we have more bluegrass threads? 

:D

edit to add***  don't know how to post vids on here anymore but yootoob Greensky covering the Clinch Mountain Backstep.   They play it faster and better than anyone i've ever heard.

HA!   the ol' message board has come so far!! love it, bouchy! >>> 

Cheers!

PS  you can find the entire 2014-03-01 show on the yootoob.  The Leap Year even gets a Wilson tease.  well worth the time!

Edit #5:  my favourite Stringduster instrumental for your perusal :)

Geebus do i ever wanna jam now.  God bless this music, I says.   

~Drunk Schwa, over and out!

• 3 months later...

Saw them in Syracuse and Cleveland a couple of weeks ago. The Syracuse show was OK, but Cleveland was the absolute heat (in the parlance of our times). Paul Hoffman, the mandolin player, came up to me afterwards and said "Now that's more like it." Indeed. "Small Axe" was an early highlight and goes way beyond the novelty of a bluegrass band covering reggae. "Don't Lie" at the end of the second set was a monster. Check it out:

https://archive.org/details/gsbg2015-02-06.MilabVM-44Link.flac16

Also, there is a live hi-def webcast of their Chicago show tonight (Saturday, 2/21) starting at 10:45 EST:

https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/greensky-bluegrass

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Big week for GSBG. They're playing the Capitol Theatre this Saturday night (9/17). Nugs.tv will be webcasting starting at 9:00 EDT. The new album - "Shouted, Written Down & Quoted" - drops next Friday (9/23) which is the same day they start a two-night stand at Higher Ground. I'm going to miss the Cap show, but will be at both Higher Ground shows. Wahoooo! Here's a little something from the new record. That dobro, though:

• 1 year later...

Caught Greensky last night in Detroit. This was my first time seeing them do their own show (non festival) and at night. I went in expecting nothing short of a great show and a good time but they far exceeded that. Tasteful tight as feck psychedelic venture grass. I know it's been said before but man....that dobro...

I had multiple cheers to Hart moments whenever they drove things into the ether. 

Been loving their studio albums for some time but their live show is a whole other level. They have certainly jumped up my priority list.

On 2018-02-11 at 12:06 PM, edger said:

Caught Greensky last night in Detroit. This was my first time seeing them do their own show (non festival) and at night. I went in expecting nothing short of a great show and a good time but they far exceeded that. Tasteful tight as feck psychedelic venture grass. I know it's been said before but man....that dobro...

I had multiple cheers to Hart moments whenever they drove things into the ether. 

Been loving their studio albums for some time but their live show is a whole other level. They have certainly jumped up my priority list.

Right on! So glad that you enjoyed it, and it warms me right up to know that I was a small part of it. I saw them in Albany and two nights in NYC last month and they were all great. Albany was a soft seat venue (The Egg, which is worth a trip if you've never been) so they played more of a lyrical, song-focused show, without many long jams. Gotta say, it was a nice change of pace. The NYC shows were both a lot of fun. This band still seems to be getting better, and their fan base is most definitely growing. It's an exciting time to be on the bus.