Jambands.ca

Yusuf(Cat Stevens) Massey Hall Dec 1 ,2014

RobL

I was lucky enough to score tickets for me and my wife to this show. 7th row on the floor. For a 66 year old man his voice is gold. Amazing show. Old songs and new. I recorded the show on my phone. Quality isn't the greatest but it's something. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1q4s8kcf8tqu6f7/AAAWy04lz0ApwAOujGJZLM_Za?dl=0

i will up set 2 and encore later. Drop box will only let me upload so much. Enjoy if you can handle the hooting and hollering.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/cat-stevens/2014/massey-hall-toronto-on-canada-73cde26d.html

I've got a line on a recording too. The guy that pulled that source is a pretty frequent stealth taper. If I find it is better quality I will let you know.

Setlist:

Set 1: (48 Mins)

The Wind
Here Comes My Baby
The First Cut Is the Deepest
Dying to Live (Edgar Winter cover)
Sitting
Last Love Song
Thinkin' Bout You
Where Do the Children Play?
Roadsinger
Bitterblue
Maybe There's a World / All You Need Is Love (The Beatles cover)
People Get Ready (Curtis Mayfield cover)
If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out

Set 2: (63 Mins)

Big Boss Man (Jimmy Reed cover)
Editing Floor Blues
Oh Very Young
I Was Raised in Babylon
Wild World
You Are My Sunshine (Jimmie Davis cover)
Foreigner Suite / Heaven
Tell 'em I'm Gone
Gold Digger
Another Saturday Night (Sam Cooke cover)
Morning Has Broken
Peace Train
Father and Son

Encore:
Moonshadow
Miles from Nowhere

I was also lucky enough to get into this show.  Cat Stevens has been a major staple for me since I was really young...reminds me of singing with my uncles who really the first to expose me to the collective enjoyment of acoustic music (and the fun of utter nonsense around a fire). 

The line-up to get in was one of the most ridiculous experiences I've ever had getting into a show.  It went all the way down Shuter, Young Street, wrapped around Queen...it was so crazy it was comical.  But he did wait (to my knowledge) until everyone was able to get into the building before starting the show.  Rob you spoke of hooting and hollering...I was sitting directly in front of what was easiest the loudest most shrill and vocal hosebag in the whole building...also had to deal with the conflicts that inevitably arose as others tried to get her to pipe down.  One man gently leaned over and told her "its time to be quiet now" (as if speaking to a child)....let's just say that did not go over well.  (envious of your seats by the way!!)...I was up on the gallery far left...visibility was quite poor, and of course sound quality could have been much better from another angle but I was still happy to be in the building.  Overall his tone (which is second to none) shone through, but from where I was his lower register was muddied....

All that to say he really does have some of the best songs ever written on the planet...melodically, sentiment wise...and god I love his sorrowful hopeful accepting tone.  I thought he seemed to be in really great spirits.  To tell you the truth I wasn't really sure what to expect...I wasn't even sure if he would play his old material given the transition in identity.... but he was really laid back and comfortable about it all...seemed to be in a really good place.

Off his new album my favourite track is "Was Raised in Babylon"...that sounded great.  My other highlights of the evening were Father and Son and Miles from Nowhere....love, love those songs.  I thought it was a great mix of a set...if only we had got a "trouble".... (but one can't be too greedy).

I was also lucky enough to get into this show.  Cat Stevens has been a major staple for me since I was really young...reminds me of singing with my uncles who really the first to expose me to the collective enjoyment of acoustic music (and the fun of utter nonsense around a fire). 

The line-up to get in was one of the most ridiculous experiences I've ever had getting into a show.  It went all the way down Shuter, Young Street, wrapped around Queen...it was so crazy it was comical.  But he did wait (to my knowledge) until everyone was able to get into the building before starting the show.  Rob you spoke of hooting and hollering...I was sitting directly in front of what was easiest the loudest most shrill and vocal hosebag in the whole building...also had to deal with the conflicts that inevitably arose as others tried to get her to pipe down.  One man gently leaned over and told her "its time to be quiet now" (as if speaking to a child)....let's just say that did not go over well.  (envious of your seats by the way!!)...I was up on the gallery far left...visibility was quite poor, and of course sound quality could have been much better from another angle but I was still happy to be in the building.  Overall his tone (which is second to none) shone through, but from where I was his lower register was muddied....

All that to say he really does have some of the best songs ever written on the planet...melodically, sentiment wise...and god I love his sorrowful hopeful accepting tone.  I thought he seemed to be in really great spirits.  To tell you the truth I wasn't really sure what to expect...I wasn't even sure if he would play his old material given the transition in identity.... but he was really laid back and comfortable about it all...seemed to be in a really good place.

Off his new album my favourite track is "Was Raised in Babylon"...that sounded great.  My other highlights of the evening were Father and Son and Miles from Nowhere....love, love those songs.  I thought it was a great mix of a set...if only we had got a "trouble".... (but one can't be too greedy).

Yes your right he did wait to start. he started 45 min later then he was suppose to. we were in line at 545 and we were not in until after 7. there was some very drunk people in front of us. that were hooting in hollering. one guy said play something we know. So embarrassing. Get your shit together people. Cat cleaverly through a few jabs at these people which was funny. I loved everything. Nyree loved it too. But Moodshawdow really struck a cord. When our baby was in the hospital for two weeks she sang it to him constantly to sooth him. So when cat played it really struck a cord for us. Great experience!!!

I've got a line on a recording too. The guy that pulled that source is a pretty frequent stealth taper. If I find it is better quality I will let you know.

Setlist:

Set 1: (48 Mins)

The Wind

Here Comes My Baby

The First Cut Is the Deepest

Dying to Live (Edgar Winter cover)

Sitting

Last Love Song

Thinkin' Bout You

Where Do the Children Play?

Roadsinger

Bitterblue

Maybe There's a World / All You Need Is Love (The Beatles cover)

People Get Ready (Curtis Mayfield cover)

If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out

Set 2: (63 Mins)

Big Boss Man (Jimmy Reed cover)

Editing Floor Blues

Oh Very Young

I Was Raised in Babylon

Wild World

You Are My Sunshine (Jimmie Davis cover)

Foreigner Suite / Heaven

Tell 'em I'm Gone

Gold Digger

Another Saturday Night (Sam Cooke cover)

Morning Has Broken

Peace Train

Father and Son

Encore:

Moonshadow

Miles from Nowhere

cool if he did. as edger said the security was crazy. i would be very suprised if he got his taping gear in. But crazier things have happened.