Jambands.ca

RIP Karl Letonja

bradm

I heard via a friend on Facebook that Karl Letonja, one of the main tapers in the Toronto and related scenes for many years, died yesterday. I knew him, and recorded with him a few times, and he was great to be and record with.

I found about two dozen of his recordings on the Live Music Archive, including nero at moe.down, one of my favourite concert experiences ever.

Aloha,
Brad

I can't remember ever meeting him in person (which in itself means it probably did ;) ) but way back in the day I got some of my first and best shows through trading with him, or trading through other people to see Karl's name as the source of the show.  Sorry to hear this news.

Sad news. I didn't know him well but was introduced to him way back in my tape trading days. I remember how generous he was in offering to help to build my collection. Tape trading was a huge part of my life in the early nineties. Karl and folks like him got a lot of music out to folks. Sad to see this news from friends on facebook. Heart goes out to his family and friends.

Oh man... Karl was a fixture at early Bnb shows. I remember travelling down to NYC with him and Jeffrey Kornblum back in 2000 to see The Maui Project at the Wetlands. He gave me lots of tapes and as well helped spread the music of my own band around. I haven't seen him in a few years, but he's one of those characters from my early music years I'll never forget. RIP Karl.

• 4 years later...

Oh boy, I just started trying to hunt down Karl, i'm so sorry to hear of his passing. I'm the archivist for foxtrot zulu and he taped a few shows back in 1998, i have the setlists but don't recall if i ever got the tapes. If someone should ever come across this and knows who might have his tapes or whatnot please drop me a line. Again, so sorry to his friends and family for their loss.