Jambands.ca

Ottawa FolkFest becomes CityFolk, moves to Lansdowne

AD

Well the noise complaints thing didn't really affect the festival so what's the issue? People will complain no matter what. Make the sound the best it can be and try not to piss many people off, and that's the best they can do.

Parking - bike, bus, maybe there will be shuttles from Carleton etc.

Guest Low Roller

I'm selling parking spots on my Mom's front lawn. $10 per axel. Easy 20 minute walk to Lansdowne. I reserve the right to rifle through your glove box. 

Parking onsite at Hogs Back was far easier so you can define this any way you want but that doesn't change the fact that its now worse for wear thus becoming a negative. I predict noise complaints will be on the rise, dramatically, which also makes it a negative. You did say "if any" regarding negatives and that's two without hardly even thinking about it so there's your answer Fish Bulb.

I really liked the Hogs Back site the first year, but less so after that.  I'm liking the little of Lansdowne I've seen (one Redblacks game and one cycle-through about a month ago) and I'm looking forward to seeing what they get going on.  Pretty awesome that it's so close by for me.

And pretty darn close to Carleton U.   Another fest of indie bands?

Oh right, your negatives have to be mine too, forgot.

I won't be driving to Lansdowne for this festival so I'm not worried about parking. And I know from experience that the site has a built-in plan for getting big crowds to the site easily, so I struggle to see the negative there for others. But if you want to be negative have at it.

Noise complaints - those will happen anywhere, anytime, and they don't affect my enjoyment of the festival so no, not a negative to me. I guess if you really empathize with the very small number of complainers it might really affect you too, but I sincerely hope that's not the case.

there definitely will be noise and parking issues for Glebites.

although the site won't feel natural/green like the sites in the past (which felt nice 'n folky) i'm happy for it.  it's so close to home for me too.  now that they've developed Lansdowne might as well use it for stuff!

Guest Low Roller

I can almost see Booche waving his cane around when I read his posts. :)

"Festivals these days aren't how they used to be back in my day. Kids these days are spoiled with their instant YouTube uploading and easy access to the venues. In my day we had to walk from our heady car ten miles away to the field where the stage was, uphill and knee deep in mud BOTH WAYS. Now those were real festivals. CityFolk. Feh!"

Landsdown seems to me like a great choice because it was actually created for populated events.  Go figure!  

I'm just surprised hasn't moved over to Lebreton yet.   I guess they'll have to outgrow Landsdown first.  

They have the experience to manage a festival at lebreton flats and ready to adjust there on demand.  So it makes sense to avoid new problems at a new site and skip straight to the war museum lands.

The rebranding is most interesting to me though.   There is no Ottawa or "folk" tied to the new brand which will more easily allow them to lease out their brand and continue to adjust to genre shifts.  That makes me wonder if there'll be a branding change announced this year or the next for the "(insert financial institution here) Ottawa Bluesfest"

Fair enough AD. I just wanted to make sure that you were prepared once the negatives start pouring in because they will, it always happens. If you like the move then good for you. I dont really have a hand in any of this and will take a 'wait and see' approach. I'm more aligned with Velvet's point of view because I positively loved Folkfest the first year it was held at Hog's Back but far less so with each passing year.

I'm sure there will be growing / moving pains and complaints sure, I hope they are minimal. But I believe it's a huge step forward. Just having the festival take place in civilization (compared to Hog's Back) is a major plus.

Guest Low Roller

Hog's Back had easy access parking at the Canada Post building which was great, and I liked the whole "in the woods" feel of the lay out. Being "back in civilization" certainly increases the economic benefits to the immediate area.

I quite enjoyed Hogs Back as a site. Part of me is disappointed to see it leaving.

As for the move to Lansdowne, I'm glad to see more local / cultural content there, to offset the bland and generic feel of the dominant retail space. There may be some soul there, yet.

The last 4 letters of the new name are Folk

Hard to argue with that.