Jambands.ca

New festival coming to Toronto area from Bonnaroo co-founder

AD

Did you mean lots of choice in terms of festivals coming to Toronto? Or the bands rumoured to be at HomeAway specifically? (I didn't see anything about bands).

Certainly a gripping thread title. Regardless of whether it ends up being the line-up for me I'm happy to see what appears to be a pattern of Canadian cities increasingly investing in musical culture

It's a huge flat grassed field. Its held a massive 4 day spring and fall automotive flea market for the last 30 some years. I used to go there with my old man when I was a kid. I saw Jack Johnson there a couple of years ago and they set up a big stage in the middle of the huge flat grassed field, I was fairly far back and couldn't really see anything onstage. There is a paved oval speedway with bleachers attached to the grounds that I suppose they could use as a second stage area. It is right off of the 400/11 highway right near 'gasoline alley' and I mean 'right off' I can see the traffic being a major issue getting in or out of there, it was for Jack Johnson and I presume that was only 30000 people or so.

Yesterday there was an article in the National Post about this fest and the title of the article was "Fresh Phish"

I thought it was weird that they would mention Phish by name in the title if Phish wasn't playing?  But the article didn't mention them further except to say that they are a jamband and had played Bonnaroo, and the article also went on to say "this isn't a jamband festival"  so I wasn't sure what to think.

Yup. There is no on-site camping for patrons- only for volunteers, vendors and staff. They run school bus shuttles back and forth to Burl's Creek.

Other than the unbelievably beautiful/ perfect for a festival site, there are no reasons to go to Mariposa for a weekend IMO.

Incorrect, Mariposa offers onsite camping as well as an area for RV's for anyone who wishes to purchase a camping pass.  Vendors now camp in the Artisans’ Village by their booths/tents.  They changed it up last year or the year before.  Not sure if they still use Burl's Creek as an overflow campground.

Are Burl's Creek & Molson Park one and the same?

The last time I was at Mariposa Folk Festival was 25 years ago (1989) when it was held at Molson Park.

The Violent Femmes and Stompin' Tom were headliners that year.

Hoping Radiohead will be on the bill for this festival as they have never done a make-up show since the stage collapse cancellation at Downsview Park a few years ago.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...