Jambands.ca

This is a thread about Pinball.

Northern Wish

Are there any skanks that consider themselves to be big fans of the silver ball? I don't mean the casual kind that just mash both flippers at once, but rather those who think of themselves as the 'Tommy' of their town?

I'm fairly addicted, but haven't found too many machines out here in Huron County. I've actually reached the point that I might buy one or two for our basement playroom.

Favourite memories playing? Favourite machines?

I'm partial to the late 80's / early 90's machines like Tommy, World Cup Soccer 94, Addams Family and reaching back a bit earlier Getaway and Pinbot.

My favourite memory is playing pinball at the old Lincoln Mall in St. Catharines while we waited for the local Ticketmaster to give away wrist bands to big shows, which always got released at 5pm. I would go there straight from school to wait and those two hours just melted away. That was a time when I could drop in fifty cents and play for an hour or more.

Have any of you considered buying this instead of a decent used car? 

http://www.thebiglebowskipinball.com/game

I'm sure you've heard this before, and likely from me, but you have to book some time for House of Targ next time you're in town.  You'd completely love it.

Yeah, I really need to get back to Ottawa to check it out. While in Brooklyn recently, I visited JackBar - which is the same concept, minus the live music and perogies.

My dream is my own House of Targ downstairs.

As far as I am concerned every home should own a pinball machine. This being my favorite and I will come over all the motherfuÇking time.

Duly noted. I loved that game, but the machine they had at the U of Waterloo while I was there always had a sticky left flipper ;-)

it was the hazy memories of playing that at your pad that ultimately led me to buy Far Out, tbh

there is some sort of Ottawa pinball league, actually...the guy I bought my machine from talked about it. Apparently there are occasional conventions (not sure that's the correct word) and a discussion board and stuff....this may be it here;

https://www.maaca.org

...there's a "blue book" of pinball machines- if you're ever in the market to pick one up it's a valuable resource as there are lots of guys out there looking to rip you off. I picked mine up for $550 and it's circa 1974. I've seen similar machines listed on Kijiji for over $1000- that's quite a red flag

Excellent tip- thanks DB!

Edit:

Found the 2014 edition:

http://user.xmission.com/~daina/pinlist_info.html

The guy I bought Far Out off of had bought a Dracula machine (for $2000-3000 I think)... it had a coffin in the middle of the play field and the dracula was supposed to rise up out of it once you hit a certain score or something but it didn't work...he felt ripped off of course

edit to add: his was likely the 1993 Williams machine- not the 79 one

I'm sure you've heard this before, and likely from me, but you have to book some time for House of Targ next time you're in town.  You'd completely love it.

Sounds like 3030 in Toronto.  Pinball machines, concert venue, good food, and good beer.

Awesome.

I am having a hell of a time with this. The pricing is highly volatile depending on who you talk to and where; some machine conditions have been totally misrepresented in their ads and there are a few characters who are buying and selling with one another and won't let a noob into their scene.

This feels like Phish 95 all over again.

At last check I have been in contact with 9 different people; made offers on three machines only to have them back out/ sell it elsewhere/ increase their price.

I am waiting on responses from people with Iron Man, Whodunnit? and Rolling Stones (the newer one) - and I already have a 60 in 1 stand up machine in a Ms Pac Man cabinet confirmed.

Does anyone have any experience with the Stones or Iron Man? I haven't played either but they get good reviews and the youtube vids of them are pretty enticing.

• 2 weeks later...