Jump to content
Jambands.ca
Guest Low Roller

Epic Covers

Recommended Posts

This is THE original version, but few have ever heard,  or know of it, so I thought it warrants being submitted. No wonder everyone from Freddie King, Jeff Beck, SRV, Deep Purple, John Lee Hooker, etc., have covered this kick ass tune: 

 

Edited by Jaimoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice. I have a copy of their one album (self titled) I found on a blog years ago. King covered a few Moloch tunes.

Great song, but for me King holds all the cards when it comes to my favourite version. Becks is great too, but King's energy, and vocals simply give me shivers and hit me like no other version. 

Also should be noted that while Moloch was the first to release it, it was Don Nix who actually wrote the song, and later (1972) released it as a single. So, it fits this thread as a cover of sorts.

Don Nix version - with his band 'The Alabama State Troupers'  (w/ Furry Lewis even!)

 

Edited by Esau.
reasons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I figured you know the deets regarding "Going Down" et. al. The Jeff Beck Group cites the Alabama State Trouper arrangement (and King sounds like he does that version for that matter too) over the Moloch original. I started thinking of this song recently because I'm going to the big Jeff Beck gig in Toronto on August 1st, and I've checked the tour set lists and "Going Down" gets played at almost every concert. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jaimoe said:

Yeah, I figured you know the deets regarding "Going Down" et. al. The Jeff Beck Group cites the Alabama State Trouper arrangement (and King sounds like he does that version for that matter too) over the Moloch original. I started thinking of this song recently because I'm going to the big Jeff Beck gig in Toronto on August 1st, and I've checked the tour set lists and "Going Down" gets played at almost every concert. 

 

Nice! Enjoy the show. I didn't even realize he was coming around, man I'm really of the loop now-a-days. Agreed, I figured the same thing about King and that version, he (like Beck too) has that same 'driving' (not car) energy to it, that really gets me moving, & energized. I'd had love to see Freddie King live, just once. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2018 at 8:29 AM, Esau. said:

 

Nice! Enjoy the show. I didn't even realize he was coming around, man I'm really of the loop now-a-days. Agreed, I figured the same thing about King and that version, he (like Beck too) has that same 'driving' (not car) energy to it, that really gets me moving, & energized. I'd had love to see Freddie King live, just once. 

You should go to see Beck; I got lawns for $18 all-in through StubHub. He's never been a nostalgia act, although I will enjoy the two nostalgia acts opening for him on August 1st: Ann Wilson followed by Paul Rogers (he's doing a Free 50th anniversary tour, but no doubt will do Bad Company and The Firm tunes). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"This is THE original version, but few have ever heard,  or know of it, so I thought it warrants being submitted."

I totally appreciate your intention here but what fucking planet are you on right now? Put the bong down bahd. The thread is for cover versions Bally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Booche said:

"This is THE original version, but few have ever heard,  or know of it, so I thought it warrants being submitted."

I totally appreciate your intention here but what fucking planet are you on right now? Put the bong down bahd. The thread is for cover versions Bally. 

Ha, it sort of is though. It was first released by Moloch, but written, and then later released (1972) by Don Nix (as noted above).  If anything, I shared the non-cover.?

...and I won't be putting my bong down anytime soon.

Edited by Esau.
bong water

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was high when I posted but you should never put the bong down. Having said that, I fucking love the piano on I'm Going Down. That shit is smoking. 

It's fun catching up because there are so many great Youtube links throughout this thread. That version of California Dreaming kicks all the ass. Keep on keeping on. 

 

 

Edited by Booche

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Booche said:

That version of California Dreaming kicks all the ass. Keep on keeping on. 

 

Not sure when I downloaded it - most likely years back when I cruised all corners of the blog-o-sphere downloading anything & everything that looked good to me. Truth be told, I kind of didn't realize I had it. That track showed up showed up one night recently during a playlist shuffle (on winamp - yes, that's still my main player) and I've had a hard time not playing it daily since. Great stuff for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...