Jambands.ca

Politics forum is under attack!!!!

c-towns

• 1 month later...

I'm sure bouche would know (or have an idea anyway), but I have no idea how many reports I made regarding that forum. I was even telling the Russians off in Ukrainian the last few times they invaded.

Perhaps that forum has run its course. No one really posts in it and its seems to be a favourite place for spam. I know I would post quite frequently in the politics forum (if you're on my FB or twitter I'm sure you know what I mean) if others engaged, but social media seems to be a more suited place now-a-days for that type of shit.

yeah, there were a few.  thanks for the head's ups!  I ended up deleting all of the reports after I dealt with them.  Low Roller has been doing some moderating too so he was able to take out a few too.

To stop the accounts, I started blocking common domains but then had to expand the ban filters to entire top-level domains like .de, .in, .ru, .cz and a few others.   Lots of accounts are coming through on legit domains like outlook.com, yahoo.com so I have to ban them individually.  Some of them I just eyeball and can tell that they're spam. (ex:albertineterrasimz2600@yahoo.com)  Others…have to wait for strange posts.  

At least I have some tools to manage it.  Thankfully, there is a spam service tied to the forum software license and also a good email validation process. The old forums were impossible to manage spam accounts so I had to shut down registrations entirely for the last couple of years.  

I'd be happy to turn off that forum, but to be honest, it seems like it's a benefit that the spamming is contained in there  rather than in here.  It might be a good idea to keep it active as a minesweeper of sorts.  

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...