Jambands.ca

Columnist doesn't seem to like the Grateful Dead

bouche

http://www.wsj.com/articles/please-grateful-dead-dont-keep-truckin-on-1422635696

Jerry Garcia’s solos sometimes started in March and ended in August

I hated the Dead because they couldn’t play fast. Zeppelin, the Beatles, Springsteen and even Chicago could play fast. For that matter, non-rockers like Paul Simon and Carole King could play fast. 

like….What??  That's the only criteria? That one word… Fast?  By fast, I guess he means "Twist and Shout" fast.   It's almost like he's describing a band that no one danced to ever.

With all due respect if that is your argument then two songs, in a catalog of hundreds, would suggest to me that the writer might have a point regarding whether or not the Dead could play fast but Eyes (much like almost all of their material) began to slow down tremendously as the years went on. I saw the most plodding version in the spring of 1995. It was absolutely terrible [1] and I am pretty sure Greg was pissed off he threw his shirt into the crowd.

While a couple of eras quickly come to mind because some versions of songs seemed to speed up, "Fast" is definitely not a word I have ever used to describe the Grateful Dead as an overall tempo and I would tend to agree with the writer of this article. He probably could have chosen a wording similar to "The Dead rarely, if ever, played fast". When I first saw Phish I almost shitmypants at how fast almost every song was. I thought my heart was going to fly out of my chest from the workout they were giving me but I had decidely given myself some further brain damage that night so what do I know?

[1] that's for bouche and DaveyBoy to ponder

My issue is that FAST is very ambiguous and has alot of range in it's meanings.

A more direct question is "Are the Grateful Dead danceable?" which the writer seems to be trying to skirt away from, yet let the readers assume that they are not, by suggesting that they can't play fast.  Mind you, the Dead playing Chicago isn't the same Dead that he was generalizing about.

So, could the Grateful Dead get people moving and dancing?  Does anyone have any evidence of this anywhere?

Personally, I just love The Grateful Dead. Fast, slow, in-between, happy or sad. What some corporate owned puppet journalist, haters, or even you freaks here on this forum think doesn't mean shit to me in the end, nor will anything change that for me.

Love, like or hate them, there isn't, never was and never will be, anything like the Grateful Dead, and I fuckin love that.

Cheers.

Personally, I just love The Grateful Dead. Fast, slow, in-between, happy or sad. What some corporate owned puppet journalist, haters, or even you freaks here on this forum think doesn't mean shit to me in the end, nor will anything change that for me.

Love, like or hate them, there isn't, never was and never will be, anything like the Grateful Dead, and I fuckin love that.

Cheers.

First off, dont get me wrong Esau even thought I am postivie you dont. I fucking love the Grateful Dead. Much like the bulk of this board I consider them my favorite band if not one of my favorites at the very least and the best thing America ever produced within their music scene and I would enjoy debating that with anyone thanks to my bias of that band and love of Americana music.

Secondly, to your point Jaimoe, we arent talking about Jerry's lightning runs which were full of creativity and style even when he was flying off the handle. He stradled that space of 'this might completely fall to pieces" while ensuring each note said something. I'm a homer for him and the rest of the band but Garcia was unto himself and will forever be my favorite guitar player thanks to his approach and understanding of what any particular song needed.

My earlier comments pointed to wondering how different my life might have been had things not played out in the manner with which they did. I had some huge experiences that made me become the person I am today with regards to life with the good ole Grateful Dead and I am sure Joe Queenan did as well. His opinions seem salient to him based on that article he wrote and if there is another time's forgotten space in which he and I can discuss how we both came to our particular spots I would welcome an engaging discussion on the matter provided egos are left at the door......unless he was just trolling and being a dishonest dick.

Once again, if any of you are going to Dead50 then I honestly hope you to have the best show ever. I mean that from the bottom of my heart and I look forward to either a stream I can buy to watch those shows or fall into some money that puts me in the pit within a slumbering stagger to a bed.

brother said: My issue is that FAST is very ambiguous and has alot of range in it's meanings.

This thread could have ended right there as far as I am concerned Mike. While most folks sat down for a break so that they could end up losing their minds during Drumz our good friend Andrew Brennan would stay on his feet and cook it. I always got a kick out of that.

Andre, if I get in the doors, I'll begin filing thoughts for either a review or story of some sort. I'm going in with an open mind and more than likely sorta sober, so my recall should be fairly clear. I'm bringing my laptop to Chicago, so I could throw something down at my hotel afterwards. Mike can have it if he wants? I want to get it posted probably by the Monday, but that might be tricky given I'll be at the Jays-Sox game. Anyway, at least if I don't go, I'll be checking out blues at Kingston Mines and/or Buddy Guys, and perhaps at that sports bar/infamous punk club near Wrigley.

I enjoy your opinions of 'insert show here' Jaimoe because they have always come across as honest and from your perspective. I want anyone who posts on this board who also ends up in Chicago to add what they saw happen.......especially Velvet.

I trust this board which is why I still come.

If I get a ticket, it'll be interesting to see where my mind will be at given I don't go out to see jammy music anymore, nor ever again for that matter, although the Dead are a different bird entirely. I will no doubt enjoy the show, especially if Trey's head is in the right place, which I bet it will be. His heart is.

Did you know this was out there? I had no idea until just now. Thanks Greg! Nice to see a Minglewood here, l always loved Brent Mydland solos on this song.

Oddly enough, I did, but way better quality versions. (same video after actually playing the video you posted. opps. lol)

Grateful Dead
March 21, 1990
Copps Coliseum
Hamilton, ON

Video: AUD (Tripod) > 1st Gen
Master: JVC Single Tube Camera > 0 Decks > Panasonic AG-7400 > S-VHS Master
Transfer: S-VHS Master > Sony SLV-R5UC > Panasonic AG-7400 > S-VHS 1st Gen
Transfer: S-VHS 1st Gen > Panasonic AG-7150 > Canopus ADVC-100 > iMac Core 2 Duo > Final Cut Pro 6 > Compressor 3 > .m2v, .aif > TMPGEnc MPEG Editor > DVD Architect 6 > DVD5
[NTSC, 4:3, 7.5 & 8.2 Mbs, 720x480, 29.97 fps]

Audio: SBD > Cassette Master
[LPCM, 1.5 Mbs, 16 Bit, 48 kHz]

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108139&highlight=Grateful+Dead+Hamilton

Grateful Dead
March 22, 1990
Copps Coliseum
Hamilton, ON

Captured, Edited, & Encoded by Peanut Productions
Synched & Authored by Brokedown House Productions

Video: AUD (Tripod) > 1st Gen
Master: JVC Single Tube Camera > 0 Decks > Panasonic AG-7400 > S-VHS Master
Transfer: S-VHS Master > Sony SLV-R5UC > Panasonic AG-7400 > S-VHS 1st Gen
Transfer: S-VHS 1st Gen > Panasonic AG-7150 > Canopus ADVC-100 > iMac Core 2 Duo > Final Cut Pro 6 > Compressor 3 > .m2v, .aif > TMPGEnc MPEG Editor > DVD Architect 6 > DVD5
[NTSC, 4:3, 8.2 Mbs, 720x480, 29.97 fps]

Audio: SBD > Cassette Master (TDK SA-X90)
Cassette Master (Nakamichi DR-1) > Sound Devices 744T (24bit/48k) > Samplitude Professional v11.03 > FLAC/16
All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller May 22, 2010
[LPCM, 1.5 Mbs, 16 Bit, 48 kHz]

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108432&highlight=Grateful+Dead+Hamilton

Different torrent, but may be same sourced as above - read post 25 as noted.

Grateful Dead 3/22/1990
Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario

NTSC

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89337&highlight=Grateful+Dead+Hamilton