Jambands.ca

Jamland

mark tonin

I didn't say anything nice about you Davey Boy but now I must, cause you made me laugh while reading this thread! Thanks for the posts and humour you inject into this board. I don't visit or post nearly as often as I used to, but when I do, there often seems to be a Davey Boy post that has me laughing. There, I hope I was nice enough.

can you say something nice about me now, Mark, please?

oh yes and congrats- I'd love to see this despite rumours of Schwa.'s member flapping all over the screen

mark tonin, on 16 Feb 2015 - 1:48 PM, said:snapback.png

Looks like I'm going to have to brush up on some dance moves!  :)

zk35phw.gif

Hey bouche, we are still thinking about how we will get this film out there. I am open to suggestions and advice. I am going to touch base with Greg Hemmings for sure for some advice - I'm not sure if he still visits this board but I have connected with him via Facebook. We will want to enter it into film festivals. I am thinking we could screen the film in some other locations, along with live performances by some of the people involved. It looks like the film will come in at just under 40 minutes, which means it could pair up nicely with live performances. That is what we are doing in Waterloo. At some point we will look at remote screenings. This is all new territory for me so I am open to suggestions and will be working closely with Rob Waldeck and Drywal Media to come up with a plan.

I agree that this film does represent an excellent promotional opportunity for Jamland and me and the people involved. I've already been giving that some careful thought. Jamland will always remain small and kinda sorta private, as that is the desire of my friend who owns the property. Having said that, she is open to new people coming, as long as it is carefully managed and the people coming have been invited and it doesn't "blow up" with uninvited guests. It is very cool to hear what people say who come there for the first time. :) And she is even open to the idea in the future of possibly having a series of small events during the summer. That won't happen this summer, but maybe at some point down the road. I've never been to a ramble, but maybe a small version of something like the Levon Helm midnight ramble series, except a camping version in the forest. The other thing that I might consider is using the Jamland experience as a platform for me to try something bigger in another location. My friend Rob Waldeck will be able to use the film as a way to promote Drywal Media. And the musicians involved will be able to use it to promote what they do. All that being said, both Jamland itself and the documentary film are first and foremost events that come from a desire to create something special for friends and friends of friends who value live music and nature. I have never taken any money out of Jamland; in fact, I've put in lots of time and energy and my own money to make it happen. As has the owner of the property. As have many others, including the volunteers who have helped with property maintenance and stage building, and the musicians who have played for less money than they are worth, and in many cases for free. From a financial perspective, my goal is to get it to the point where the money coming in from donations and/or ticket sales covers the cost of paying musicians and any additional sound or property maintenance costs, and the film may help to highlight what a special thing we have going and therefore may lead people to donate more money and/or pay more for tickets than they have in the past. I like working outside, and I don't mind setting up sound gear and hauling around generators and moving firewood and clearing camping areas, etc. but I must admit I am getting older and am aiming to reduce my load and the load on the owner of the property over the next year or two. But I am fortunate enough to have a teaching gig that pays me enough money to live, so I can do this for my soul rather than for the money. And if it ever did turn into a money making venture, the money would go back into Jamland or some sort of charity. Something like Instruments for Africa or something else music and/or nature related. But I am getting ahead of myself - one step at a time.

wow!  super cool. Congratulations on both projects Mark! It seems to me that the documentary could be one helluva promotional engine for Jamland, lighting up the radar with blips.  

Any thoughts on remote screenings?  A couch tour version via Ustream or Youtube?  

My oldest boy has been a staple of Jamland since the beginning and is something he is always so excited to go to. 

It is always great to see Jackson rocking out at Jamland!

I was asking Rowen a couple of weeks ago if he has any interest in coming to a new festival with his ma this year...he wasn't overly interested in a couple of the options I threw out there but he sure put in a strong pitch for going back to jamland! Not that I needed my arm twisted but he was quite the thorough salesman!

Nice to read that Rowen is a fan along with his mom and dad! :)

I didn't say anything nice about you Davey Boy but now I must, cause you made me laugh while reading this thread! Thanks for the posts and humour you inject into this board. I don't visit or post nearly as often as I used to, but when I do, there often seems to be a Davey Boy post that has me laughing. There, I hope I was nice enough.

mark tonin, on 16 Feb 2015 - 1:48 PM, said:snapback.png

zk35phw.gif

mmmmmm that's pretty good but I think you forgot to mention how good looking I am and my obvious intelligence.

i'm confident you know what to do- THANK YOU

db 2.0

mmmmmm that's pretty good but I think you forgot to mention how good looking I am and my obvious intelligence.

i'm confident you know what to do- THANK YOU

db 2.0

Hey db2.0, your intelligence is obvious, given the wittiness of your replies and the dancing video that you posted in response to me brushing up on my dance moves. Seriously, that video is hilarious on a few different levels! As for your good looks, it's been a while since I've seen you, so I can't comment. At the risk of this turning into a photo-frenzy-free-for-all, maybe a picture or two will help me comment on that front. If I don't comment, my guess is that somebody else on this board will have something to say about your good looks. lol just thinking about how this could go ...

The musical lineup for the Jamland event happening on July 10 & 11 is as follows: The Blurry Pickers, Dan Walsh, Mark Wilson & The Way It Is, Rusty Timbr & The Doghouse Beat, Lower Ground, Acousticats, Harvard Mouse (or some modification of it), Slipfish, Neu Tone Voigt, Rose Garland and Superfly. I'm stoked for the film screening and the summer event! Lots more info to follow as the events draw closer.

Curious what or who Slipfish is, a ploy to attract ottawa folks...

I remember thinking something similar to this many years ago when I first heard the name. Slipfish is the songwriting team of Chris Wright (lyrics) and Chris Mulligan (music). Both of them are friends and both of them have been to Jamland. I've played with Mulligan a couple of times at Jamland as part of The Chris Mulligan Band. But that was maybe 5 years ago. Chris Wright is a teaching colleague (English teacher) and yes, I could imagine him coming off as ornery in certain situations. I say that with no disrespect and I think he would agree. :) The two of them have written 5+ albums worth of material together; 1 that is totally done, 1 that is done except for mastering, 1 that still needs to be mixed and mastered, and 2 more with songs sketched out. Somewhere between 50 and 100 songs in total. Really good songs. Not to mention all of Chris Mulligan's solo material and his work with others. He has not played very much at all publicly in the past 5 years, but I've been speaking with him over the past few months and he is fired up to play live again. He is one of the most talented musicians I've had the pleasure of playing with; I'm actually getting together tonight with him and Ricky and Dave as he will be joining Neu Tone Voigt at our Kitchener Cork Hall gig.

For Jamland I'm not sure yet whether he will be doing a solo looping thing (I just heard him do this and it sounded very cool) or whether he will have others join him or whether we will blend some of his stuff with Neu Tone Voigt. But I'm happy to have him back in the Jamland fold as he brings a lot to the table. We are also using at least one Slipfish song in the Jamland documentary that was written specifically with Jamland in mind, and the song totally compliments the cool video clip and animation that Rob Waldeck has created and it blows my mind every time I see and hear how well the video and audio match each other!

I feel fortunate to have connected with so many talented musicians over the years!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...