Jambands.ca

Bestival in Canada

HaMike

Calling itself the “original boutique festival,” England’s “Bestival” has staked out two June days in Toronto for the event’s first-ever appearance in North America. 

All the fun, creativity and eclectic music that goes into the annual Bestival on Isle Of Wight will travel across the ocean to land on the Lake Ontario shore at Hanlan’s Point Beach in the Toronto Islands June 12-13.

Bestival is being presented in conjunction with Canadian promoters Embrace and SFX Entertainment.

“We have waited 12 years to decide to launch another Bestival outside of the U.K,” Bestival curator Rob da Bank said. “So, the waiting is over and we are so excited to be launching in North America in June with a classic Bestival lineup waiting to thrill, intrigue and party!”

Although no lineup has been announced, previous U.K. Bestivals hosted headliners Stevie Wonder, Florence + The Machine, The Cure, Kraftwerk and others.

But even though Bestival organizers aren’t even close to teasing us with a lineup, that doesn’t mean the multi-day music extravaganza doesn’t have some official digital real estate.  Head over to Bestival.ca for more details.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Low Roller

Thoughts:

- I never liked Florence + The Machine, so as a headliner I am unimpressed.

- Nas rules the world, so that should be fun.

- Caribou has converted his electronic albums into full band performances for live shows, so that should be good.

- SBTRKT is a very interesting electronic music producer.

- Jamie XX is also a very interesting electronic music producer.

- Owen Pallett used to be one of the violin players in Arcade Fire, before leaving to do some artsy solo stuff. His first album didn't move me, but it was nominated for a Polaris Award.

- Omar Souleyman should be an interesting addition. He's a musician from Syria (actually a wedding singer, shit you not), but gained some notoriety for working with Four Tet.

- I've heard of WAVVES, and that's about it.

So overall it seems like an electronica heavy bill, with a hip-hop artist as semi, and rockers for the main. Weird bill.

Some YouTube cuts for the unfamiliar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjhFFyHGb7I