Jambands.ca

All In A Day event in Ottawa

DevO

This looks fun:

http://www.writersfestival.org/events/spring-2015/all-in-a-day-songwriters-night-hosted-by-alan-neal

All in a Day
Songwriters Night
hosted by Alan Neal

quote.png

RANDOM PLAY IS BACK!

What does Alan Neal have planned for Writersfest on April 23rd?
Well, we know that somehow a cartoon from the 1970's is involved.

And as of a few minutes ago, we learned that Craig Finn of the HoldSteady will be jetting in from Brooklyn to be part of it!

He's joining Juno-winning East Coast songstress Rose Cousins, folk-soul-rockers Elliott Brood, dancehall soulsters Bonjay and rising star Aboriginal R&B sensation Iskwe.

What the heck are we talking about???

It's the ALL IN A DAY SONGWRITER'S EVENT... every year one of the biggest hits of the Fest!

And this year, it's time for another Random Play party!

See, back in 2013, Alan Neal, host of ALL IN A DAY on CBC Radio One, took on an interesting challenge for Writersfest...

He took his i-pod, of over 13,000 songs of folk, pop, rap, jazz, rock, soul, showtunes and superhero children's stories...  And put it on "random". He picked the first 10 songs that came up and made it his job to find out everything that he can about how those songs came to be... and analyze what messages are in the music. And so it was we witnessed Jim Bryson, Jenn Grant, The Acorn, Measha Brueggergosman, Kellylee Evans, Hilotrons and the Souljazz Orchestra all on stage with wild interpretations of not only their own songs but covers that no one had expected. (Jenn Grant performing a song from the Dallas TV soundtrack, The Acorn performing Michael Penn, and then that bizarre Aquaman radio play with Measha as Hydro The Dehydrator... we will never forget any of it.)

Well, two years later, Alan's doing it again... (and his iPod is up to 15,000 songs) and he has assembled another all-star cast of musicians and is doing an insane amount of musical detective work to track down the stories behind the songs.

It's an evening that's conversation mixed with storytelling, a blend of delving into the musical past with a cavalcade of musical talent from the present.

Don't miss:

CRAIG FINN of THE HOLD STEADY

ELLIOTT BROOD   

ROSE COUSINS

BONJAY

ISKWE   

Next week on ALL IN A DAY from 3-6 on CBC Radio One (91.5) You can win tickets to the Random Play event.

Fanmail we received in 2013 about Alan's last Random Play event:

"This is not typically my genre of literary interest - I was transformed...a truly memorable evening of entertainment and literary revelation."

"Tickets could have been $300 apiece - what an evening.I have watched musical theatre in London, Paris, New York, Stratford in England and other places and I have never seen anything like what you did last night. Truly amazing"

"It was intimate and casual and hilarious, and then, lulled into this sense of comfort by the intimacy and casualness and hilarity, you're hit by these stunning musical performances... Seriously, one of the best nights out I've had in a while."

Wasn't being particularly serious of course.  Actually I've been to a few Fuse sessions hosted by him that were enjoyable- i suppose it's difficult to not come off as a little bit obsequious in those situations but I found it awkward. He was definitely a better host than Amanda Putz though and more to the point this does seem like a cool concept, overall

anyway