Jambands.ca

Summer tour starts tonight for the Phish

c-towns

never miss a Sunday show, they say.... jeez Alpine 2!  Can't wait to listen to this.

Trey banter from beginning of show...

Trey: “Thanks everybody. I’m not much of a talker these days, but I used to be when I wouldn’t shut up for fifteen minutes at a time. I will say this, when we stay at Alpine Valley here, some of us, sometimes all four of us, we sleep in the parking lot right back there, I sleep in the parking lot when we play here. I woke up there this morning, it was pretty cool, I got up and put my headphones on, I was listening to a mix tape, and I got to walk around the venue out there. I walked around all morning, we never, the four of us had never really been out there. We always see you guys from this perspective and you always see us from this perspective. It was really fun this morning to walk around, and I walked around and I walked all the way up there, and up where that guy who is waving his arms is, which is like on the peak of that hill, and it is so beautiful from up there, you can see over the top of the venue, and I was also really loving that tree right there, so this is a special shout to the people by the tree, you guys are all waving, thanks, man! The tree is really cool, and then my other favorite spot was that tree, over there, right on the corner is really beautiful. And then the last place I was standing, there was like a piece of wooden platform, that if you’re on the hill, there’s a flat area, you guys right there are on it, and that was one of my favorite spots. And it was there where I was standing when I felt a drop of rain dropping on my head. And I looked up and saw no clouds, and I realized that it was bird shit! And then I thought, maybe tonight is the night to do “Famous Mockingbird!” It’s a sign from the heavens! So I’d like to thank that bird. And then, when I got back, after my little stroll, I started looking up some little factoids that I want to share with you. So thanks to the shitting bird, and by the way, for those of you on the grassy knoll, if you feel bird shit, and you feel a second bird shit, there is obviously a second shitter, on the grassy knoll. Anyway, ba-da-bump! So when I started looking up some facts, I wanted to say that apparently we’ve played here seventeen times, which is pretty cool, man. And tomorrow is apparently the nineteenth anniversary of us first coming to Alpine Valley. So I just want to say, we love it here, and we’ve had such great times, that’s pretty amazing, nineteen years, and we get to share all that with you at this beautiful venue. I’d like to thank the shitting bird, and I’d like to shut up now and play a song, about another bird, the famous mockingbird… as we carry you to Gamehendge.”

Why even watch or listen when you can read the jam from second set at Alpine last night

• Carini jam description; chill type I > very down tempo pulsing jam w/ Page on mellotron and Trey using dirty '03-esque tone > Page continues on mellotron while jam takes a more uplifting turn > Trey playing some chords between soloing, Mike goes to liquid bass tone > Trey forces waves
  • Waves - ambient jam w/ Mike playing high notes, Trey using heavy distortion > into tweezer
  • Tweezer - Trey on heavy echo, very spacy feel initially > Mike throws some approval bells in, Page going between mellotron and synth > jam begins building in intensity > settles back down Trey still working on echo, Page moves over to clav > Trey starts in with some melody notes while Mike climbs downwards > uplifting jam mode w/ Trey playing melodic chords > Trey starts to solo while fish puts in a less static beat > same chords as earlier at an octave up > fizzle
  • Mikes - Typically evil Trey type I, using the '03 tone again playing low notes > time to shred, Fish smacking the cymbals > ending segment of first jam > outro chords > second jam, shredding high notes, similar to what we had before outro > Trey starts playing chords, page on clav > jam takes a turn towards the chill, all band members playing a sort of stop-go besides Page > jam picks up again with Trey continuing stop-go alone > Sand from Mike so it sounds to me > Mike goes to bomb/funk tone, Stop go again > woos > Mike continues what he was doing, Trey hits on really spacy echo tone > jam moves into ambient territory, Trey still echoing, Page on mellotron again > Trey starts holding longer notes, happy ambient territory with Mike soloing > drum beat dies

• 2 weeks later...

I had a great time, despite it being a relatively short stay.  Due to work didn't get there til late Friday afternoon and had to leave on Sunday.  Second set on Sunday in particular looked like a great time...was sorry to miss it, but good in terms of shortening my necessary recovery time!

This was my first phish fest.  The weather was great.  Ended up on the outskirts...the hike multiple times a day was a little taxing but it made for really quiet sleeping conditions which I was more than happy about. I found the venue to be spacious.  They easily could have held another 10,000 or more, but to be honest I was happy that it wasn't any further rammed, especially in the concert bowl.

Lines for food and drinks were more than reasonable...same with the bathrooms.  That kind of nitty gritty stuff was well taken care of from my vantage point.

They played great.  My favourite sets of the weekend overall were Saturday.  Top highlights included Undermind, Tweezer, and definitely the Possum into Cities!!  Normally I find glowsticks to be just short of annoying...but have to say there were some pretty impressively aligned tosses that lit up the whole sky and resulted in some amplified eye candy.  

The other MAJOR highlight for me...a lifesaver really was the morning yoga sessions.  Incredible energy to draw from...a quirky, sometimes comical instructor that clearly enjoyed himself each night prior, and some gospel inspired Jerry floating in the background.  It was well worth getting my butt moving and was the perfect start to each day.

Only real complaint is I found the sightlines to be pretty limiting...especially if you were anywhere in the left side off the venue.  I really don't know why they wouldn't invest in even a small screen.  The entire Friday I don't think I caught but a glimpse of a single member of the band. and we were relatively close.  Saturday found some better pockets but felt that could be improved upon.  Sound was good though and that is most important.

So great to hear them sounding so healthy and charged!

Magnaball being my bachelor party I picked up a couple of bottles of Pedialyte on the way. Let me tell you, that shit is the ultimate hangover remedy. I drank a quarter bottle before bed and a quarter bottle when I woke up each morning and it chased away any semblance of a hangover which was remarkable considering the copious amounts of bourbon, tequila and beer that were consumed all day and all night.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...