Irene’s Pub

885 Bank Street

Ottawa

$10/9pm/19+

www.instrumentsforafrica.com

www.johnkmusic.net

www.lucashaneman.com

irenespub.ca

International touring artist John Kadlecik and local guitar phenom Lucas Haneman will showcase their talents at Irene’s Pub to raise funds for Instruments For Africa’s upcoming shipment to Zambia.  The night of music will be accompanied by a silent auction, featuring items from local merchants and memorabilia signed by artists including Daniel Lanois, Wynton Marsalis, Bobby McFerrin and others.

American singer and guitarist John Kadlecik made a name for himself performing the music of Jerry Garcia in the world’s premier Grateful Dead tribute act, Dark Star Orchestra.  In 2009 he was recruited by Grateful Dead founding members Phil Lesh and Bob Weir for their most popular post-GD project, Furthur, and with his musical heroes transformed into musical partners Kadlecik spent the next five years on an endless tour of sold-out arena and festival dates helping to continue the legacy of the Grateful Dead.

Making his home in Washington, DC, Kadlecik keeps himself busy with a myriad of projects.  In addition to performing solo concerts and working with performers like Melvin Seals, Kadlecik is currently touring with the Golden Gate Wingmen, a jamband supergroup that includes Kadlecik, Jeff Chimenti, Jay Lane, and Reed Mathis.

The IFA benefit concert at Irene’s will land between two standout shows for John Kadlecik: an appearance at the Peach Festival in Scranton, PA just a couple of weeks before and a set at the Lock’n Festival in Arrington, VA the following week.  Kadlecik will be in Italy in October to take part in the annual REX benefit Experimental Residency. 

While it’s easy to classify Lucas Haneman as a new sensation on the Ottawa scene, in reality the 28-year-old has been playing around Ottawa for almost two decades.  While in high school he received the CBC Rising Star Award at the 2005 Ottawa International Jazz festival.  In 2010 he graduated from Concordia University with a BFA in Jazz Studies where he received the prestigious Oscar Peterson scholarship.

In his short career Haneman has toured across Canada sharing the stage with a host of artists, including Curtis Fuller, David Newman, Guido Basso, Jeff Healey, James Cotton, Sloan, Don Ross, Terry Kelly and David Usher.  In March Haneman was honoured with an invitation to London, England to perform at the international Visually Impaired Musicians Live conference.

Instruments For Africa is an Ottawa-based Not-For-Profit that collects musical instruments and accessories here in Canada and donates them to schools and community groups in select African countries.  In the last two years IFA has donated hundreds of musical instruments to fifteen schools and organisations in three countries.

IFA founder and local musician Todd Snelgrove will be leaving for Zambia on September 23rd to distribute another 100 trumpets, flutes, trombones, guitars, clarinets, and keyboards to five schools throughout the country.  The goal of this benefit concert is to cover all costs related to the shipping and distribution of the instruments.

• 4 weeks later...

Melanie and I cant stop talking about Lucas Haneman. I cant believe he is local to Ottawa. Bouche got a few shots of him. John K was wonderful as well but who in their right mind would ever want to follow Lucas?

I guess this guy, who happened to perform Unbroken Chain and Box Of Rain after I got him to sign my 2013 Furthur Vegas poster with a "How about that Phil Lesh!"

060.jpg

HATPL.jpg

I have to admit, based on his song selection he certainly didnt seem like he was resting on the laurels I would guess he would rest on.

Not exactly but "If you want to throw out requests please do. I didnt come up here with a setlist and I might get to songs faster if you call them out." - followed by some nice giggles by him. He fucking meant it aside from the 3 Canadiana songs. What was that......Cockburn's Lovers In A Dangerous Time segueing into Rush's Time Stand Still followed by Daniel Langois's The Maker. That was a wicked series of tunes! 

I have been giggling all day because Lucas floored me in my face immediately but the more I think/take-in JohnK's set, for all it's warts, the more it made an impression deep down within. He had a really fucking tough act to follow but I personally feel like he pulled it off. Masterpiece seemed to be the centerpiece, to my eyes/ears/experience as far as the crowd-artist conjoining as one. That was a really cool moment but to be honest I was hoping it would have happened elsewhere #selfishasshole. Goodnight Irene was such a perfect closer. I have always dreamed of playing that stage and ending with the same song and I finally got to see someone who I respect and admire pull it off gracefully.............actually, that is a great adjective for John K. I tend to associate 'graceful' in a feminine manner, whether that is right or wrong, but he seems to embody that word. 

Across The Universe was sublime and he did Box Of Rain. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.Two of the best songs ever written.

• 2 weeks later...