Jambands.ca

Why Was A Child's "5+5+5=15" Answer Marked As Incorrect?

Esau.

Perhaps my memory is bad, or I was taught differently or have simply misunderstood my entire life. Math and its ilk were never my strong suit, just as explaining myself clearly hasn't been either, so hopefully ya'll get my drift.

I've always interpreted 5x3 to imply three fives (5+5+5), and 3x5 to imply five threes (3+3+3+3+3). Of course both total 15.

I don't recall if I was being taught arrays in third or fourth grade or if I ever was at all. Perhaps it was called something else then, I don't remember. Regardless, I would still interpret the question, 4x6 to imply six fours (4+4+4+4+4+4), so six rows of four.

Reading the comments it seems I'm not alone. I know how this stuff is taught has changed over the years so nothing would surprise me, plus I'm not familiar with such terms as "rote" or "common core", and that appears to be where the discrepancies (and confusion) come in.

Anyway, thought this was interesting.

http://www.iflscience.com/editors-blog/teacher-marks-child-s-55515-answer-incorrect

The web has kicked up a storm after a child was marked as incorrect for saying "5+5+5=15"on a grade school math test.

The question simply asked to use repeated addition to solve 5x3. The math question is a typical question set by the Common Core for third graders. However, under the guidelines for the Common Core, you supposed to understand 5x3 as “five groups of three” not “three groups of five.”

The child was then marked down again for drawing six rows of four instead of four rows of six.

The image was originally uploaded to Imgur and Reddit around a week ago where many commenters were infuriated by the overly pedantic “by-the-book” thinking.  One popular comment on the Reddit post said, “So now you just took a kid who was doing well at math, confused them, and turned them off of it with your continuous nit picking of shit that doesn't matter.”

KtKNmXG.png