Jambands.ca

Phish, Riviera Maya - Webcast

Northern Wish

After all of the speculation Phish has finally announced that the shows from Mexico this weekend, will in fact be webcast:

https://twitter.com/livephish/status/687710169141227520

http://webcast.livephish.com/Riviera-Maya-2016-Webcast.html

I still haven't watched the whole New Year's run so I will probably just do that for free but this might be good news to some of you out there.

here's a funny quote from some random aggravated redditor.  Judged from a couch, using some fancy calculations to support his/her position.

Why can't they play two good sets in one show instead of this thing where ~33-50% of the show is good and the rest sucks?

I think he is referring to the quality of the jams not of the webcast.

I personally dug the first night but the second half of night 2 and the final night were all pretty standard (if not underwhelming) Phish.

And let's all be honest, that was the worst performance of The Ocean in the songs history.

You clearly didn't hear my high school cover band.  That said, yeah, they could have worked a bit harder on it, and frankly they should have.

Since Phish came back in 2009 a standard show = a damn good time.  I've seen them tons since 2009 and I haven't seen a bad show yet - across the board they are better than pretty much every band out there, every night.  And as a fan of live music if I can go see one of the best bands out there I'm gonna do it every chance I get, even if they're only great.  Sure sometimes they hit it out of the park and sometimes they don't, but every day can't be Xmas.  

Actually, let's just say they DO hit it out of the park every day, and that's why they are better than pretty much every other band out there.  Every once in a while they hit it out of the universe, but that's no reason to downplay how awesome their average show is.

Bottom line about Phescala is it was an unbelievably good time, and if the band's playing keeps others from buying tickets next year then...what am I saying...It will sell out instantly again next year because the band is fantastic and seeing them in Mexico is a dream come true, especially for the hardcores (I met several people in the 400+ show range and they had no complaints).

In case it's not painfully obvious, all of this is just my opinion.  It's not like I took a survey or am taking dictation or anything.

Actually, let's just say they DO hit it out of the park every day, and that's why they are better than pretty much every other band out there.  Every once in a while they hit it out of the universe

That's a very good example of scaling that baseball analogy for Phish.

Jeez tough crowd. I watched all of the shows and enjoyed them all quite a lot, save for a few unfortunate song placements and most of night 2, set 2 due to a setlist that doesn't really float my boat (zing). None of the run of shows really blew me out of the water (zing) but honestly that happens so rarely that I never really expect it to anymore. Instead I find we just get consistently great shows..  What Velvet said.

I knew what quality he was referring to, just curious to hear his thoughts.

I agree with what DevO said, there was some questionable song placements for sure.

Maybe, because fluffhead77 obviously likes the band, the C+ means it was still hit out of the park but he expects out of the universe because it was more expensive to go. I look at it as the boys were partly on vacation so, have fun, which I believe they and everyone there did.

i agree with everybody!  i would give the music a C (average for Phish, which still means it was good) but the venue and experience an A. i really enjoyed the Ocean cover but i was quite hammered by that point! :wacko:

after seeing the band so much, i always hope for something special music-wise but i know to never expect it.  it can happen on any night in any place.  and that's what keeps me coming back!

Here's what Mike had to say:

It was pretty cool! It took a little getting used to at first. I’m technically minded so playing with no roof always makes for better sound, but there’s also always an adjustment period. Having the ocean right next to us and having it all lit up and people swimming in it was pretty special. I like getting out of situations that are just predictable, like we play Deer Creek because we always play Deer Creek. Sometimes great things can come out of a predictable situation because then you can experiment more with the music. But the cool thing about [playing in a place like] Mexico is that the size and the shape and the smell is so exotic to us, and that’s pretty cool. Actually, [the Mike Gordon Band] is starting this tour in Texas and Arizona. Phish played not too long ago in Texas, but it’s been a long time since I’ve come through Arizona, so it feels like being on a mission and on an adventure. Both of those are examples of getting outside your comfort zone, which is great to do.

http://www.glidemagazine.com/154504/mike-gordon-cuts-creative-clutter-new-bandmates-finds-inspiration-bowie-interview/

I think we can close with: if you are there Phish is a blast but if you stay home and listen on the internet you can poke holes in anything they do. It just isn't the same when you're not a part of the scene. Not even fucking close.

I'd have given anything to be on the sand that weekend. I have no idea what I was thinking not going down for this.

If someone wants to properly embed this cool drone video of the venue please do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKOfDaOQ-9E&feature=youtu.be