Jambands.ca

Dead and Allman Brothers fans are gonna wanna download this one

Booche

I dont know how this ever happened but I am kinda late to the party on this New Years Ever show from 1973 at San Francisco's Cow Palace. There is some great shit going on in here. I hadn't listened to the Brothers in a long fucking time, years in fact. Last week I stumbled across Govt Mule from this past New Years (loooove you NW) doing a 3 set show consisting of a first set of Dead songs, a second set of songs by The Band and a third set of Allman Brothers songs. 

So I got an itch and then this came across my path. Synchronicity yo! 

I am almost halfway through. Kreutzmann and Garcia have yet to join but up to the point I am at it's been excellent so there, ya dinks:

http://exystence.net/blog/2016/02/22/the-allman-brothers-band-feat-jerry-garcia-live-at-the-cow-palace-new-years-eve-1973-2015/

2 hours ago, hamilton said:

Even better is the four-disc version, if you can find it. There are a lot of edits on this one (although it is most definitely still awesome!).

Agreed. Had the show for a long time. I can likely set you up with it Booche. My copy is on CDR (WAV), not sure I have the SHNs anymore though.

http://www.phishhook.com/view/details.php?recID=3827026

[edit to add]

Comparing the set lists, it looks like mine is the same, but on four CDRs - so I may not have the same version Hamilton is talking about. Though checking online it seems the set is complete though.

1 hour ago, hamilton said:

The 4-disc set has the same setlist, but the timings of the many songs are shorter on the 3-disc version. For example, Les Brers is 6 minutes shorter, Hideaway is 5 minutes shorter and Mountain Jam 8 minutes shorter. Many of the other songs have smaller/shorter edits.

Makes sense, didn't take that into consideration. Also found this...

There are multiple versions of this 12/31/73 show in circulation. The most common (and the only one that I’ve seen) is supposed to be from the Pre FM reels (which were most likely damaged, keep reading). On the heavily circulated version there were numerous flaws, most were either digital noise or clipping. A new transfer was just done from a Reel To Reel FM Master. This new FM master did not have any of the flaws that were present on the common “Pre FM” version, but FM Master was of slightly lesser quality.

The solution? Small portions of the new FM master were spliced into the higher quality version when there was digital noise, clipping, etc. Those defects have now been eliminated. The splicing was done well, at most points it’s unnoticeable, but there were a couple of splices that didn’t line up perfectly, one of those would be the splice that provides the intro to Liz Reed. Either way, this show sounds much better than it did before, and it’s the best source I know of to be in circulation.

Here are some of the other edits that were done… There was digital noise in some of Bill Graham’s band intro, this was spliced in OK from the other copy. Various count-ins were slightly clipped, but are now spliced in seamlessly. These are usually when KSAN DJ’s talk, those short station ID’s have also been put back in. The KSAN announcer’s (Tom Donahue) count-in at New Year’s was similarly clipped, this has been restored, clipped notes at the beginning of Jessica have also been restored. There were many other additional edits, but you get the picture.

Pretty sure mine is the new transfer mentioned above, I don't recall hearing any digi-noise etc, but I'd have to dig my copy out to be sure.

I cant speak to digi-noise on this one but there are a few volume swells, while minimal. Overall I think the sound is pretty damn fucking good. Actually, I didnt expect it to be this good. There is great separation, for a bootleg of course, and the rhythm section sounds pumping.......but hot-damn.........how did I never hear about this Whipping Post before????????

Perhaps someone has mentioned it to me over the years and its assumed I forgot. This thing is the cat's ass and a far departure from Live At The Fillmore from the not so distant past (at the time). One can only imagine what Jerry and Duane would have sounded like on this song, trading licks like they were trading.............well. I best stop myself.