Jambands.ca

Steven Page, live @ Via Rail Ottawa

Velvet

Weird: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/steven-page-ottawa-train-station-1.3488744

If you're catching a train Sunday morning at Ottawa's Via Rail station, you might just run into a Canadian music icon before you board.

"They're running me out of town at that point!" veteran singer-songwriter Steven Page joked to In Town and Out host Giacomo Panico earlier today.

Actually, the former Barenaked Ladies frontman is touring his most recent solo album, Heal Thyself Pt 1: Instinct.

It's a record filled with the catchy hooks and soul-searching lyrics Page has come to be known for.

"My thing kind of has always been to write bright-sounding pop songs with darker lyrics," Page said on Saturday.

"It's always interesting to see how people respond to it."

Page will be playing at the train station at 11:45 a.m. on Sunday, with another performance the next day at Kingston's Via Rail station.

Listen to his wide-ranging In Town And Out interview, which touches upon his relationship with his former bandmates, his mental-health challenges and a few other pressing topics.

Too bad.  His "thing" used to be playing arenas across North America with a great band.

I know, I know.  But it seems strange - does the new album have anything to do with trains?  And is this advertised at all?  I remember when the White Stripes did a Canadian tour playing weird venues, but it was promoted well.  This seems not so much.

Seems like the 13 minute advertisement on CBC radio generated some further word-of-mouth advertising on the internet.   :) 

First single is called Surprise Surprise - VIA Rail promoting these events as Surprise shows.  "@stevenpage will surprise his fans in some of our train stations this week to launch his new album."  One Reddit commenter said "Thanks for this, we stopped by and it was great! Played some old classics, and it was just him and a guitar, not even a mic."