Jambands.ca

Do not post in this thread, Booche

Hartamophone

On 3/28/2016 at 9:51 PM, Booche said:

Post a version you consider to be better. I cant wait to watch it because it will be awesome fun. That one is insanely good. 

I'm sure your talking live versions here, but the only version(s) of the song I've truly enjoyed have been the studio, Mars outtakes, as well, the acoustic demo recorded in 73. Although I thought it was pretty incredible when they pulled it out finally in 95, at the same time I was disappointed because I've always felt that song would have been even better had it been played during it's prime - when it was fresh, Phil's voice was better, and Jerry was in better shape all round.

Gotta say, listening to/seeing Phil sing this song as an old man who has experienced what he has chokes me up. Probably only second to Box of Rain (and Donor Rap) ha, gets me every time. I've enjoyed hearing recent'ish incarnations of this song with various different line-ups of musicians. It took me a while to grab onto in comparison to most their catalogue though to be sure.

" Although I thought it was pretty incredible when they pulled it out finally in 95, at the same time I was disappointed because I've always felt that song would have been even better had it been played during it's prime - when it was fresh, Phil's voice was better, and Jerry was in better shape all round. " - we got to see the second one done live in Charolette. Just before we headed out on our drive I learned they did it in Philly and crunched some numbers "We might not get to see it" but luckily they did it two shows later the night Bruce Hornsby showed up unannounced. Walking in and seeing a piano onstage sent the place into pre-show mayhem. I always loved that energy swell but this was way different than anything I have come to see since. 

I experienced my one and only out of body experience at that show. It was the second night of a three night run and we blasted through our 'supplies' the previous night, just to stay awake following the 16 hour drive from Kingston. We were already running on fumes and low supplies for night two but hot-damn if I didnt have my most meaningful connection with everything during this show. It's not killer for any of you to listen to, I rarely have, but something happened to me that show that made me question because I realized I knew nothing.

Laugh it up all you want Fuzzballz but I was floating in the rafters while swimming through colors that came from Jerry and Phil's instruments during Scarlet Begonias. That lasted an eternity. It ended when I looked at our row and saw us. I almost collapsed when my field of vision changed to 'reality' 

03/23/95 (Thu) Charlotte Coliseum - Charlotte, NC
Set 1: Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo, Wang Dang Doodle, Cold Rain & Snow, El Paso (1), Loser, Ain't No Easy Answers, So Many Roads

Set 2: Unbroken Chain, Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain > Corrina > Mathilda > Jam (2) > Drums > Space > Days Between > Good Lovin', E: The Weight

Not a thing I can laugh about there my friend, I can relate. Kingswood 87 - my second show. The show was good and all, but it was something else that took hold and pointed my compass to terrapin. I'm not sure I really know what it was either, it just happened.

I never saw Unbroken Chain live, but I don't regret not seeing it. I love the song, no question. Much like Dylan certain eras and songs of GD are like a tide to me. They roll in, I soak them up and love every second, then they roll out and I let go, until they return. With both Dylan and GD there are certain versions of songs, times in their careers, that I simply cannot let go. Those things that I truly enjoy, that take me away without ever having moved an inch. I guess that's kind of what I meant in my previous comment.

As I've mentioned in the past, I hung my tour shoes up in 93, I knew on the bus ride after the 06/13/93 I was done. While I enjoyed the show I just felt so disconnected all of a sudden and not really comfortable anymore. It was a weird, but it was the end for me. Same with Dylan, though another decade or so later while rolling home from Toronto, same disconnect, same weirdness. So no slag on the live version you mention above, nor any others, just for me when it comes some songs, there are those that I cannot let go, and those that are tides.

I'm guessing you are referring to a Playing In The Uncle John's Band sandwich. Dates fail me now as a middle aged man. The one thing I recalled was that god-damn Dark Star you referenced. I havent heard this in years. Saddle up kids. This will take you to where you need to go. I never would have thought to look this up on the Youtube. Thanks NW!