Jambands.ca
Sign in to follow this  
Rob Not Bob

RIP Prince

My brother was a diehard for all the years, especially when he was the only person talking about Prince. If it wasn't for his persistence I never would have changed my uninformed and stupid opinion of his music that somehow developed in the late 80's. I never would have experienced one of the best shows I have seen of too many concerts and I certainly wouldn't have realized that Prince had obtained musical perfection.

I cant thank you enough Mike.

Today is what it sounds like when doves cry.

I received texts about this during a meeting this aft and was in total disbelief until I got back to my desk and saw it all over the internet.  Then came shock.

My first prince concert was in Toronto at the Maple Leaf Gardens:  http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/prince/1988/maple-leaf-gardens-toronto-on-canada-73d856a1.html

I didn't know that I'd already seen my last Prince concert in Montreal: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/prince/2011/metropolis-montreal-qc-canada-1bd379f4.html

On 4/21/2016 at 3:00 PM, Booche said:

.... my uninformed and stupid opinion of his music that somehow developed in the late 80's.

I was in the same boat. I hated Prince in the mid-80s. Mostly because I listened to Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, etc. pretty much exclusively back in those days. Pop and R&B music was not on my radar,  in fact I detested most of it. I never saw the movie "Purple Rain".

But about 10 years later I listened to "Purple Rain" and paid close attention to the guitar solo. I was sold! Later on, the cover band I was in played Dec. 31st 1999 New Year's eve party at a bar, of course we played "1999". I started liking his tunes a lot more and really appreciated the song-writing and musicianship, but apparently not enough to buy a ticket for a Prince show, which now I regret.

This video was actually interesting because it shows musical connections between songs like Manic Monday / 1999, Nothing Compares 2 U / Purple Rain by repurposing hooks and chord progressions.