Jambands.ca

Gord Downie

Esau.

Been feeling really sad the past couple of days. Now that the tour has ended I keep wondering what Gord is doing and how he is feeling. I hope he feels good about the tour. I am glad that he got to feel all that love pouring out to him from everyone at the shows.  Bittersweet though.

I am hanging onto hope in my heart for him to beat the odds, and sending all my *~*~*vibes and love*~*~* to him.

F CANCER!

Tragically Hip
August 16, 2016
First Ontario Centre, Hamilton, ON – Audience(Master)

Source: Audio Technica 831’s (cardiods)->Tascam DR-05(24/96 bit)->Digital Performance->(16/44.1)->(FLAC 8)
Recorded: Section 223/Row 2 (nobody in front of me all night)
Taper: SHEFF

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=569727

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Tragically Hip
2016-08-16
FirstOntario Centre
Hamilton, ON

Lineage: Naiant X-X (omnis) > SP-SPSB-8 Battery Module > Zoom H1 [24/96] > SD Memory Card [wav]
> iZotope RX Advanced [declick L3, LC+10.31db, RC+10.68db, resample 44.1KHz, MBIT+ dither 16bit]
> CDWave [split] > flac frontend 1.3.0 [flac16]

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127558&highlight=Tragically

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Tragically Hip
"A Natioanl Celebration"
Rogers K-Rock Centre
Kingston, ON
August 20, 2016

** 16 BIT **

Broadcast live in stereo on CBC Radio 2 (CBU 105.7 FM - Vancouver)

Source: Akai AT-2400 stereo tuner > Kenwood KA-6004 stereo amplifier > Edirol R-4 @ 24 bit/48 kHz
Mastering: .WAV > Sound Forge Pro 11.0 (Build 299) (minor edits, normalize, & fades] > CDWav (tracking) > Trader's Little Helper (level 5) > iZotope MBIT+ (dithered and downsampled to 16 bit/44.1 kHz) > Trader's Little Helper (level 5) > FLAC > TagScanner 5.1 (tagging)
Recorded & mastered by: Dennis Orr

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127512&highlight=Tragically

Edited by Esau.
added second Hamilton source

I know there's been a lot of articles.  But here is a good one from Vish Khanna. Your post Phorbesie reminded me of the ending of this article.

http://www.labelobscura.com/the-end-and-the-beginning-the-tragically-hip-k-rock-centre-kingston-on-august-20-2016/

The End and The Beginning : The Tragically Hip, K-Rock Centre, Kingston, ON August 20, 2016

ning : The Tragically Hip, K-Rock Centre, Kingston, ON August 20, 2016

August 21, 2016

This can't be the end.  You probably saw what happened on TV. The whole thing, right? 

As the show ends and the encores loom, a man breaks down in tears. He sits in his seat on the arena floor for the first time all night, cradling his head and vibrating in agony. A cameraman runs over and points his machine at him forever. The man finally collects himself, as the Hip come back out onstage to play longer than they ever have on the Man Machine Poem Tour. It is their hardest show.

Kingston is sunny and breezy and beautiful on this day. On my drive in, a postcard came to life; I see a float plane take off over a boat in the lake.

This is where this band started in 1984. This is their turf.

The streets of downtown Kingston are almost all closed to cars and there are people walking everywhere. All of the pubs, restaurants, and coffee shops are bursting at the seams. I am with Richard and Dave, two of my oldest friends. From childhood. And my dear colleague Sean Michaels, the author and music writer, joins us. We walk the streets, laughing hard at every hilarious joke Sean makes, as the Tragically Hip’s music blasts out of every place with power.

Inside, our seats are so close to the stage. First row in the stands. Most of the ones around us stay empty until just before the show starts when the Hip’s friends and family emerge. My friend spots a familiar and, to me, meaningful face. I approach him.

“Excuse me Mr. Aykroyd?”

“Yes?”

“‘My name’s Vish–”

“Hello Vish!”

“I just wanted to say I’m a tremendous fan.”

“Oh, thank you.”

“Yeah. Spies Like Us changed my life.”

“Oh, well, my wife here [actress/SLU co-star, Donna Dixon] killed three of my friends!”

“Ha, right. Look, I don’t mean to bother you but would you mi–”

“No,no, none of that. I’m not even supposed to be here! If I draw any attention to myself they’ll kick me out of here!”

“…Uh, ok. Understood. Well, have a nice nigh–”

“They’re gonna kick me out of here!”

In any case, Spies Like Us is hilarious. Dan Aykroyd also helped start Saturday Night Live. Curiously, I don’t mention that show. Just Spies Like Us.

It’s almost showtime. I feel nauseous. The gravity of this show, which might be the band’s last, is hitting me. I need to sit down but I don’t. I stand, dazed, talking to my friends.

It’s all being broadcast live on CBC TV.  There are cameras everywhere. This is the smallest arena I’ve seen the band in on this tour but it’s also, the loudest one.

Canada’s Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, is at the band’s hometown show. But the crowd circulates a sign that reads, “Thank You Prime Minister Downie.”

The band play a new song called “Tired as Fuck” on television. Maybe for television. Every accentuated “fuck” is surely causing someone, somewhere some stress.

When it’s done, played pretty much perfectly, Gord Downie suggests we’re in good hands with Trudeau, who he says will help our country resolve its crimes against First Nations people. Reparations. It’s a point he raises again and again. With the whole world watching, it’s a bold challenge to the PM and to us, to make sure it’s done, even if it takes 100 years. He’s right.

The singer wails and howls during many songs, feeling it all, deep within.

Gord has always trusted us to understand. His lyrics and intentions and roaring vocals aren’t easy things. They don’t pussyfoot around. They’re heady and majestic and some of the words live in the far reaches of the dictionary and history books and alternative news sources. But he trusts that we’ll get it.

A Canadian flag is crowd surfing its way around the arena and I’m reminded of what this band stands for to some people. An elusive, fluid cultural identity requires an enigmatic ambassador. We chose ours and it’s from Kingston, Ontario.

That so many citizens have anointed the Hip–the weird, darkly optimistic, loud, loud, loud Hip–as Canada’s band must say something about us. To grossly generalize, we must be pretty demanding and that’s good. Keeps the quality of our art high maybe. Everyone feels engaged with how complex our world really is when we listen to the band.

Over breakfast in Ottawa that morning, my dear, childhood friend, Steven, suggests that bassist Gord Sinclair is the Hip’s secret weapon, which is a truth I hadn’t considered before. I know he’s integral but a secret? I pay closer attention. Steven is right. Sinclair holds the whole thing together. He’s the unassuming bandleader. It only took me 30 years to notice.

The performance has its highs and frightening moments but it’s the best show ever. It’s got some of the band’s greatest songs and some of their gutsiest, most topsy-turvy, and beautifully executed renditions of their work. Certainly features material I haven’t seen over five Ontario shows I’ve attended. It covers the breadth of their status, as radio darlings and cult favourites.

“Grace, Too.” So devastating. Tears and tears and tears. Who can restrain themselves? The spirit of it all in the room is impossible to capture in some ways. It feels like a new feeling.

There is no mention of this being the last show. But something has closed. There’s some resolution to a 32 year-old chapter.

But. What?

No one knows. I feel like something else can come of all of this. It’s not over. It’s not fan greediness or neediness. I just think working people will work until they can’t work anymore. This band works. Hard. Together.

I feel lucky to be here and the arena’s surreal.

This can’t be the end. It’s not. It’s just not.

Vish did some great writing for this tour!

I received a link this morning that is apparently the 'backhaul' 1080p recording that the CBC did before they downgraded it to keep up with demand and without the CBC logo embedded in the screen. I have neither downloaded nor watched this to confirm but my source has never steered me wrong:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127508

• 2 weeks later...

The Tragically Hip
Canadian Tire Centre
Ottawa ON
August 18, 2016

Source: John Ramsey Mics > Battery Box with 150Hz roll off > Tascam DR-05 @ 24 bit/48 kHz
Mastering: .WAV's > Audacity > Removed Spikes > Normalize > Fades > Tracking > FLAC (Level 8) 16 bit/44kHz

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=570675

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Tragically Hip
August 20, 2016
K-Rock Centre
Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Contrast clause: this is a different souce than:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=569558
Satellite feed versus FM recording.

Original DTS-HD-MA audio (lossless) > iDealshare VideoGo (Extract 6 Channel 24/48 Wav File) >
Soundforge 11 (mix to stereo, normalize) > CDwave (track cuts) > TLH (flac level 8, ffp, md5) >
Mp3tag ( FLAC files tagged)

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=570075

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, if anyone scores an extra pair of tickets for Gord Downie's Toronto show I promise I will happily take them off your hands, with many thanks.

I will be in a weird time zone when the tickets go on sale and what my internet situation will be at the onsale time is currently a known unknown.

On 9/20/2016 at 10:23 AM, Northern Wish said:

Has anyone downloaded the Ottawa show? I sure would love that in my Dropbox. I don't have a dime account and quite frankly don't need anymore torrent site accounts but really want that show.

I'd even appreciate an mp3'd version to share with non techie friends who were there.

I can help you out. I downloaded every link I posted, except for the HD CBC one. The Ottawa show is FLAC and 785 MB - I'd rather share it as is, but if you'd rather have mp3 I can do that too. The sound is pretty good, not much audience chatter in the forefront. Let me know what format and I'll get on it.

BTW - you did get the Levon & The Hawks Port Dover show I PM'd you on FB right? My dropbox account is close to filling up so I'd like to make some space, but want to make sure you got that before I do.

I've slacked a little on getting this finished, but I'm in the process of uploading to dropbox now. Since this forum is public (the threads for example) and due to dropbox sometimes not playing nice when one of my shares has been hit a lot of times, I'm going share the link privately - so if you want a 320 mp3 (7-zipped)) of this, post here and I'll PM you the link when its ready. I fyou want lossless, post and we'll work that out too. I downloaded every link I posted, except for the massive HD CBC one.

On 30/09/2016 at 8:04 PM, Hartamophone said:

Anybody get tickets to The Secret Path shows? I was traveling and got through on the phone at two minutes after ten, but at that point all they had were $1000 tickets left. #nothelpful

Yes sir I scored for ottawa.  Can't wait