Jambands.ca

Surprising and welcomed Black Crowes (ish) news

Northern Wish

http://www.jambase.com/article/rich-robinson-forms-magpie-salute-fellow-black-crowes-alumni

Co-founding Black Crowes member Rich Robinson has announced the formation of a new band dubbed The Magpie Salute. The group features four members of The Black Crowes as Rich is joined by guitarist/vocalist Marc Ford, keyboardist Eddie Harsch and bassist Sven Pipien. Rich Robinson Band drummer Joe Magistro and keyboardist Matt Slocum round out the lineup along with backing vocalists Adrien Reju and Katrine Ottosen.

The Magpie Salute will make their live debut at the Gramercy Theatre in New York City on January 19. Look for the band to perform songs from The Black Crowes catalog, solo material from Rich and Marc plus “whatever else may materialize,” according to Robinson. “New York has always been really supportive of me and the Crowes. I thought it would be a great place to unveil this,” Rich said of the decision to premiere the group in NYC.

“The name The Magpie Salute comes from a superstition based in the UK,” Rich explained about the band’s moniker. “There are many variations, but the version I’m drawn to is the belief that if you see a Magpie, you would do well to salute it ‘to ward off negativity, or to have a good day.’ The way you salute the Magpie, based on some traditions is to say ‘Good Mornin’ Captain.’ The reason we salute is to show we’re unarmed, or what I like to say is ‘we come in peace.’ The Magpie falls within the Crowe umbrella of species, figuratively and literally. Magpies can be black and white which represents the light and the dark. I figured all of these things touch on many aspects of my life and this experience.”

Rich talked about the decision to feature multiple players and singers within The Magpie Salute, “I wanted to try something different. I wanted to hear this music with two drummers, two keyboard players, and multiple singers. I, and everyone involved, love playing music. Not only on our own, in The Crowes and in my band, but playing music in general. We want to make music again together with a fresh perspective. To present this music I wrote in a different light with these amazing players is going to be really special to me.”

The idea for The Magpie Salute came to Rich this past August, when Robinson performed in Woodstock, New York at Applehead Studio where he’s recorded his last three albums. “Sven Pipien has been playing with me on my current tour. So for fun I decided to invite Marc and Eddie from the original Crowes lineup to join us. It turned out to be such a cool, cathartic, and inspirational experience for us all. We all have such a strong musical connection from that band. Most importantly we all have a life’s worth of family experience together. We’ve traveled the world together, seen a lot of far out experiences, playing with our heroes, emotional ups and downs, all wrapped within a very unique life experience, which is the thread that has always kept the connection together,” Rich revealed.“The playing was an amazing second to seeing their faces,” Marc added.

Tickets for the first Magpie Salute show go on sale this Friday, October 21.

magp-admat

• 2 years later...

I saw one of the Gramercy shows - while I did enjoy myself - it was disappointing they didn't do much Crowes material.  They had this singer who did Chris' vocals pretty well, he looked like the lead singer of Counting Crowes.  The show presented itself more as a Marc Ford & Rich Robinson showcase of new material rather than a Crowes Tribute, which makes sense until you realize you'd rather hear them do Crowes material. 

Not sure if this band still together, hopefully Crowes brothers will make up and get back together one day.

• 4 months later...

Only happens if everyone in the band plays for flat rate, except chris who gets 98% of $ from shows, merch and any future albums. Despite what Gorman says, I dont see it happening. Rather the continuing saga of competing shitty crows cover bands featuring various ex members. Cant wait for his book though, who-boy time to air the dirty laundry!

• 4 weeks later...

I admit to being very wrong about this. Be interesting to see who they get to play in the rest of the band. And how much tickets will cost.

The book is awesome for fans of the crows. Gorman doesn't hold back at all. Some amazing stories about the band.

Edited by deranger

• 2 weeks later...

After teasing a reunion with social media posts, news broke in the early morning hours of Nov. 9 that The Black Crowes will tour this summer with a full recreation of their 1990 debut album Shake Your Money Maker.

https://relix.com/news/detail/the-black-crowes-will-perform-entire-shake-your-money-maker-lp-on-tour-this-summer/#ixzz64lNbA4Hv

On 11/3/2019 at 6:37 PM, ersh said:

😉

The duo (Rich and Chris) enlisted all-new members that include guitarist Isiah Mitchell of psych-rock band Earthless, veteran session bassist Tim LeFebvre who appeared on David Bowie’s Blackstar and keyboardist Joel Robinow and drummer Ojha of prog/psych-pop group Once and Future Band according to rolling stone.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/black-crowes-2020-reunion-tour-dates-910124/

Looking at prices for these shows and I gotta say, that's fucking ridiculous, but maybe unsurprising. Will be funny to see how cheap they go when demand doesn't justify current prices. Front section (not necessarily front row) for few shows i looked at was $500-750 a piece. Good luck with that.

I was seeing front section for $300 ish which is still too much for me. Seemed like 200s in the middle were best value. I have mixed feelings about all of it but in the end I love the crowes, absolutely love their catalogue and shake your money maker is a killer album that deserves some celebration. If the brothers are truly patching things up on some level that makes my heart warm too. First time almost ever that I've seen Chris repeatedly admit to and apologize for being a dick and reflect on where he was coming from. The only constant is change that's for sure whether we like it or not