Jambands.ca

Trumped

edger

I teach at Ryerson downtown Toronto which I would hazard to guess is one of, if not the most, diverse campuses in our country.  My students were looking for so much reassurance today...it was uncomfortable (like I have the answers).  Tried to give them the whole we will live speech too...and the world is full of positive people yadayada...then when they were working on their group projects I had New Speedway Boogie playing softly in the background... ;) I am fairly certain that very few if any would have known the origins but it somehow seemed fitting enough.

This is what I said on Facebook last night. It's all I got:

Let us not forget this: each of us can still choose to embody love, hope, tolerance, and compassion. And nobody has ever needed the president's permission to reach out to someone in need. All those things we tried to do to make the world a little better yesterday we can still do tomorrow, albeit through clouds of disappointment and uncertainty.

Much love, my friends. Let's keep on keepin' on.

8 hours ago, Hartamophone said:

This is what I said on Facebook last night. It's all I got:

Let us not forget this: each of us can still choose to embody love, hope, tolerance, and compassion. And nobody has ever needed the president's permission to reach out to someone in need. All those things we tried to do to make the world a little better yesterday we can still do tomorrow, albeit through clouds of disappointment and uncertainty.

Much love, my friends. Let's keep on keepin' on.

That was the single greatest thing I read on the webs yesterday.  It really, really helped.

It's strange to me that Make America Great Again was the basic and successful message.  Why couldn't "Make the WORLD Great Again" encourage excitement?  

Here's a little levity and madness from Bill Burr.

Part 1

http://teamcoco.com/video/bill-burr-trump-wont-change-anything?playlist=x%3BeyJ0eXBlIjoicmVsYXRlZCIsImlkIjo5NzU1NX0

Part 2

All my peeps here in NYC are on edge. We didn't see this coming, we all thought it would be a Hillary landside and the republican's would be decimated.  Everyday for the past year we came to work (ironically at the Trump Building) and chatted about how it would be impossible for people to support Trump with his latest antics.  Tuesday the nightmare came true.  I'm sure there are too many reasons why this happened, I think America just wasn't ready for a women to run the country and they wanted real change. 

The silver lining is that Clinton won the popular vote which means that most people in America don't support Trump's agenda - that group will have to do everything in it's power to influence the Trump Government.  It hasn't set in yet what is about to happen, but seems like my time in America is about to close.

Considering the stats I saw the other day were somewhere along the lines of 46% didn't vote, 25.8 voted Clinton, 25.5 voted Trump, 1.7% voted Johnson.

In my opinion, the US has expierenced something similar to Canada in 2011 when Harper retained power. Majority didn't vote, and he won with ~25% of the vote.

• 4 years later...

phew, we made it....no nuclear war, no tipping point with Iran. idiotic covid response and years of damage but thank feck that chapter's over

i think we'll slowly find out over the next several years just how insane things got in the white house- i suspect that the stuff we do know about is just the tip of the iceberg. maybe lawyers will coax the truth out for the more contentious issues/underhanded dealings.

now where'd i put the bubbly flutes?

Disillusionment has come upon some believers of QAnon, the baseless conspiracy theory that a cabal of Satan-worshipping Democrats, celebrities and billionaires run the world while overseeing a pedophilic human trafficking scheme, as Joe Biden officially become president of the United States Wednesday afternoon.

QAnon supporters believed that Wednesday’s inauguration ceremonies would bring a type of doomsday that would ultimately end with top Democrats being arrested and Donald Trump starting a second term.

But things went peacefully. No Democrats were arrested. Trump, now a former president, is in Palm Beach.

Screenshots of confused and disappointed QAnon supporters on online forums were shared on Twitter. One QAnon believer posted a comment titled “Anyone else feeling beyond let down now?” with a description that said: “It’s like being a kid and seeing the big gift under the tree thinking it is exactly what you want only to open it and realize it was a lump of coal the whole time.”

Others said they felt sick and “sad and confused” as inauguration continued smoothly.

To make things harder for believers, Ron Watkins, who moderated QAnon base 8kun, posted a message essentially telling supporters to go back to their regular lives.

“We have a new president sworn in and it is our responsibility as citizens to respect the Constitution,” Watkins wrote. “As we enter the new administration please remember all the friends and happy memories we made together over the past few years.”

Some people pointed out that QAnon has created real rifts between families and friends that will not be easily repaired even as their theories are debunked.

• 2 weeks later...