Jambands.ca

Circles Around the Sun (Neil Casal)

c-towns

Just said this in an e-mail, about the shows I saw:

Really engaging stuff. And a little more restrained and deliberate than what is often seen with psychedelic bands. I zeroed in on the bass player more than any of the other players, which is unusual for me, but he was great. Creeping all over the fretboard but not in a wanking kind of way, while continually coming back to the main riff to keep everything grounded.

Was so great finally meeting you and Sarah in person!  What an amazing double bill in a majestic theater.  Had the best seats in the house as far as I was concerned.  Very surprised to hear they didn't mix it up at all over the three night run (nonetheless you lucky devils). And agreed....I really need to see these guys for a full show of their own.

I was also quite captivated by the bass.  The sound and vibration was super powerful at the Palace.  His name is Dan Horne and he also plays with Grateful Shred, Jonathan Wilson, Beachwood Sparks, The Skiffle Players.  

I just love the kinship between these boys so much !!  I wish they would get added to Peach (late night)

• 1 month later...

Yes, great to finally meet you Hart, such a fun show. This being the tour opener, I was able to catch the tour finally with Billy Strings opening and collaborating. That was also a fine night.

Setlist: Greensky Bluegrass | The Fillmore Detroit | Detroit, MI | 2/9/19

Jaywalking, White Freight Liner Blues, The Four > Take Cover, Do It Alone, Cold Feet, Last Winter in Copper Country, Ashes, Murder of Crows, Little Maggie* > Second That Emotion*, Meet Me at the Creek**, While Waiting*** > While I’m Waiting Here, Dust in a Baggie, Steam Powered Aeroplane, Demons, Windshield > Living Over, Like Reflections, Just to Lie > Wings for Wheels, Broke Mountain Breakdown > What You Need

E: Black Muddy River

*w/ Billy Strings (guitar), Billy Failing (banjo)
**w/ Billy Strings Band
***Phoff & Billy Duo

That little bolded section in the setlist was fantastic.

• 5 months later...

Circles Around The Sun Announce ‘Circles Around The Sun Meets Joe Russo’ EP, Share Single & Confirm Fall Tour

https://www.jambase.com/article/circles-around-the-sun-meets-joe-russo-ep

Instrumental quartet Circles Around the Sun teamed with drummer Joe Russo to improvise during a recording session held earlier this year at Russo’s Brooklyn studio. Highlights from the jam session will be released as the four-song Circles Around The Sun Meets Joe Russo EP on October 18. CATS and Russo unveiled the track “Peace Reprise” from the forthcoming EP and Circles Around The Sun also confirmed a fall tour.

“All of the members of CATS have been friends with Joe Russo for years between our collaborations with Phil Lesh, Cass McCombs and others. We thought it would be a great idea to do a project with him, so we met up in a studio in Brooklyn and wound up creating four songs in one day,” said Circles Around The Sun guitarist Neal Casal. “The session had a true CATS in the moment vibe with explosive improvisation, double drums between Joe and our drummer Mark Levy, conversational guitars with me and Dan Horne, and plenty of Adam MacDougall keyboard wizardry.”

“I was excited when Neal reached out about the possibility of this collaboration. Having played with Neal and Adam many times before over the years, and my time spent with Dan on Cass Mccombs gigs and sessions, it felt like a no brainer,” added Russo. “I was also psyched to do some double drums with Mark, especially in this context. Hope to do it again one day.”

Legendary recording engineer Jim Scott mixed the release with CATS’ Dan Horne. The EP is available for pre-order here. Circles Around The Sun will kick off their fall tour at The Crocodile in Seattle on October 16. A West Coast swing also includes dates in Portland, San Francisco, Sacramento and Los Angeles. Then, the quartet heads to Colorado to end the year with stops in Denver on December 27, Fort Collins on December 29 and Buena Vista on New Year’s Eve.

Listen to “Peace Reprise” below:

• 4 weeks later...

I stumbled across this a while ago and forgot about it until stumbling across it again just now.

Remember Columbia Record House? If you do then you might be one of those people who discovered a pile of music for a penny. Three Dog Night - Greatest Hits was a massive revelation to me. I loved every song.

• 2 weeks later...