Jambands.ca
Sign in to follow this  
c-towns

Circles Around the Sun (Neil Casal)

Saw these guys three times last week opening up for Greensky. Great shows, as expected. Funky and playful but just a little bit dark, almost spooky (technical musical term there), and they are all deadly players. They didn't mix up their short setlist at all over the three shows, but that didn't bother me too much as the songs were hardly formulaic. Bottom line: four heady crystals out of five, would recommend (especially for something longer than an opening set).  

Just said this in an e-mail, about the shows I saw:

Really engaging stuff. And a little more restrained and deliberate than what is often seen with psychedelic bands. I zeroed in on the bass player more than any of the other players, which is unusual for me, but he was great. Creeping all over the fretboard but not in a wanking kind of way, while continually coming back to the main riff to keep everything grounded.

Was so great finally meeting you and Sarah in person!  What an amazing double bill in a majestic theater.  Had the best seats in the house as far as I was concerned.  Very surprised to hear they didn't mix it up at all over the three night run (nonetheless you lucky devils). And agreed....I really need to see these guys for a full show of their own.

I was also quite captivated by the bass.  The sound and vibration was super powerful at the Palace.  His name is Dan Horne and he also plays with Grateful Shred, Jonathan Wilson, Beachwood Sparks, The Skiffle Players.  

I just love the kinship between these boys so much !!  I wish they would get added to Peach (late night)