Jambands.ca

Circles Around the Sun (Neil Casal)

c-towns

from phish.net

Here's the statement...It appears to be from CATS to folks that had already bought tickets.

------
Greetings CATS fans,

Like you we were all deeply saddened and shocked by Neal’s death several weeks ago. Neal was our brother and partner in musical adventures and we miss him terribly. We have gone through every emotion that you can imagine and several weeks of intense soul searching. During that time we have fielded countless messages from people that have been moved by our music as well as our fellow musicians who have urged us to continue on the path that was serendipitously put in front of us following the Fare Thee Well shows. When we collectively wrote that music 4 years ago, we never expected that it would get the recognition that it did, nor did we expect that we would ever play any live shows. It just all sort of happened naturally. We let the music lead us. We are going to let the music continue to lead us on this wild journey. The new record we recently recorded will be released in early 2020. Neal was proud of it and wanted to make sure it made its way to you. We couldn’t agree more. We understand that no one will be Neal but we have been jamming with some very good friends that have offered to step up. Playing music has helped us grieve and begin to reconcile our feelings and we think that continuing forward and performing will help all of us collectively. We are excited to share the new music with you and we look forward to seeing you next month at our west coast shows and down the road.

God save the child that rings that bell
It may have one good ring, baby, you can't tell
One watch by night, one watch by day
If you get confused listen to the music play
Some come to laugh their past away
Some come to make it just one more day
Whichever way your pleasure tends
If you plant ice you're gonna harvest the wind
In Franklin's tower the four winds sleep
Like four lean hounds the lighthouse keep
Wildflower seed on the sand and wind
May the four winds blow you home again

CATS

On 9/19/2019 at 9:50 PM, Hartamophone said:

Really? Source? (Curious, not doubting.)

it's mentioned in the jambase link posted by edger

Casal left word he wanted the band to move forward and his band mates will honor that request. The group will soon announce a new guitar player that will perform with keyboardist Adam MacDougall, bassist Dan Horne and drummer Mark Levy over the course of an October Run, New Year’s Run and on Jam Cruise. CATS will still release Circles Around The Sun Meets Joe Russo on October 18 and will issue a new studio album early next year that was completed with producer Jim Scott just days before Neal’s death.

Edited by bONES

They will now be providing a FREE stream to this tribute for Neal Casal, although I encourage all to think about donating to Musicares if one is able https://www.grammy.com/musicares

The live stream is expected to start at 8pm Eastern

https://www.jambase.com/article/neal-casal-tribute-concert-live-stream

I too was quite surprised to see CATS deciding to proceed without him, and have mixed feelings about it.  He obviously had given this a great deal of thought, which I don't know whether to find more or less comforting....I think most of me feels it's even more sad. Yet the opportunity for the music to morph and live on is positive in its own right, and I have full empathy for the  the other members of the band whose livelihoods and unity were so drastically impacted (especially Adam). I can only imagine how difficult and conflicted the decision must have been for all of them to continue. We shall see how it all plays out. I wonder if they will announce and/or debut a 'replacement' prior to the benefit on Wednesday?

it's surprising to hear that (as his best friend) he did not have any inkling of knowledge regarding depression or anything of the sort. So a random suicide? i have never heard of this. I know that depresson meds themselves can cause suicidal thoughts, maybe he was on some such med and no one knew? It's very scary. It must be so torturous for his loved ones to have no idea what happened. :(

Watched the webcast last night. Bittersweet. Learned a lot about Neal I didn't know, heard a bunch of great artists I wasn't familiar with. Hearing CATS play without Neal was different, kinda sad even, but still kicked. I love what they are doing though, I could listen to their music all day long.  Great to see Steve Earle there, was sorta surprised, and was expecting to see CRB, great little set by those dudes. Over-all a really enjoyable evening of stories and music. 5+ hours.

Edited by Esau.
spellin'

• 3 weeks later...

Circles Around The Sun Begin Tour With Eric Krasno

Set: On My Mind, Gilbert’s Groove, Halicarnassus, Hallucinate A Solution, Immovable Object, When I Was At Peace, One For Chuck

Listen at link:

https://www.jambase.com/article/circles-around-the-sun-eric-krasno-seattle-setlist-audio

Circles Around the Sun kicked off a tour featuring Eric Krasno on guitar last night in Seattle. Wednesday’s show at The Crocodile was the band’s first headlining performance without founder Neal Casal.

Casal, who died in August, expressed his wishes for Circles Around The Sun to continue without him. Krasno, bassist Dan Horne, keyboardist Adam MacDougall and drummer Mark Levy began last night’s concert with “On My Mind,” the song that opens the group’s 2018 studio album, Let It Wander. CATS then dug in on “Gilbert’s Groove” from their initial set of tunes composed as a soundtrack for setbreak at 2015’s Fare Thee Well – Celebrating 50 Years Of Grateful Dead concerts.

The quartet went back to Let It Wander for an 18-minute “Halicarnassus” before performing the dreamy “Hallucinate A Solution” and downtempo “Immovable Object.” Last night’s penultimate song was “When I Was At Peace,” the evening’s lone number from the forthcoming Circles Around The Sun Meets Joe Russo EP. “When I Was At Peace” opens the four-track collaboration between drummer Joe Russo and CATS which comes out tomorrow via Royal Potato Family.

Circles Around The Sun’s tour opener ended with an expansive rendition of Let It Wander “One For Chuck.” The tour continues tonight at Wonder Ballroom in Portland, Oregon.

Listen to full show audio taped by Justin Hoogerwerf below:

P. “When I Was At Peace” opens the four-track collaboration between drummer Joe Russo and CATS which comes out tomorrow via Royal Potato Family.

Circles Around The Sun’s tour opener ended with an expansive rendition of Let It Wander “One For Chuck.” The tour continues tonight at Wonder Ballroom in Portland, Oregon.

LMA https://archive.org/details/cats2019-10-16.akg483.flac24

Edited by Esau.

• 2 months later...

It was my first time on the cruise. It was a great opportunity to see a lot of current jambands that I wouldn't otherwise be seeing. It was a ton of fun and we saw a lot of music, but it was a marathon! I got seasick too. I recommend doing it for sure, but I don't think I'll go back right away. The vibe is super though, it's very laid back and not at all sketchy :)

• 1 month later...

https://www.jambase.com/article/circles-around-the-sun-leaving-rogue-lemon-single

Circles Around the Sun released new single “Leaving (Rogue Lemon).” The song will appear on the band’s upcoming self-titled album, which arrives on March 13.

Circles Around The Sun is the band’s final LP with recordings from guitarist Neal Casal who tragically died last year. The band — consisting of drummer Mark Levy, keyboardist Adam MacDougall and bassist Dan Horne — previewed the album with “Babyman” and “Money Is No Option” ahead of “Leaving (Rogue Lemon).” Stream the latter below:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...