Jambands.ca

Happy 50th Birthday, Velvet!

phorbesie

Today I turn fifty years old.

I never, ever thought I would make it this far. When I was a teenager I was sure my upper limit was going to be thirty-five; I thought I was pretty badass (I wasn’t). Heck, my guidance counsellor in Grade 10 told me I’d be dead or in jail by the time I was twenty (again, I wasn’t). 

And of course I was almost right, a few times. Like everyone I’ve had more than a few close calls along the way, a handful of make-it-or-break-it moments that could have gone either way. Skidding a car in Slovenia last year, goofing around in the rafters when I was seven years old, catching dengue fever, that time a trailer veered into my lane on the TCH and missed the car by an inch…each one another spin of the wheel and somehow my colour has come up every, single time.

So many miracles!

One thing I can tell you about living this life of mine for a half-century: it was easy; almost effortless. Because I was lucky to have been born into a remarkable, loving family, because I have collected an incredible group of friends, and because I have found such a fantastic partner to romp though life with, I feel like every problem I’ve ever had has been solved, or is at the very least extremely solvable. When I look back, every single time I’ve needed help in the last fifty years (fifty years!), one way or another, help came. Every wound has mended and every tear has dried, just like all the wounds to come will heal and all my future tears will be wiped away, just as long as I can keep all of you around me, be it in mind, spirit, or flesh.

I don’t know how or why I got so lucky, but I did, and I’m running with it.

And now that I know that my life is not just my life, but rather the collective effort of so many people I’m starting to think I might just live another fifty years.

Or forever.

So to my mother, my father, my brother, his wife and their children, my grandparents, my aunt and her family, my uncle and his, all of my friends past and present and to my amazing partner, thank you so very much. I swear I couldn’t have done it without you.

So all let’s celebrate together, shall we? Party at my place tonight! C’mon over, phorbesie is making dip.