Jambands.ca

Ottawa Bluesfest 2018 Official Thread

bouche

It was out of nowhere. The band had played once in the last year, and then a day or two before their first gig back he quit, saying he needed to take time off the road, be with his family, etc. It was pretty weird how it played out, and there are plenty of nefarious rumours floating around.

He was never my favourite part of the band, but I certainly hope it’s nothing too serious.

I say DMB is worth it, even if you’re not a fan. Like c-towns said, Carter is an absolute monster behind the kit. Their sax player is Jeff Coffin, formerly of The Flecktones, who is super good and adds quite a bit.

Having said that, I think the band is too big (too many members, not too popular). Having a full time trumpet player in addition to the sax is unnecessary, imo. And while Tim Reynolds is a killer player, I don’t think his electric noodling on every song is the best fit. It can all end up sounding a little cluttered.

That said, they’re all solid musicians and even though I haven’t seen them in a decade, I never found myself bored or disappointed at a show.

Given that the DMB tour doesn't start until the Summer, they have a bit of time to find at least a touring replacement.

Jethro Tull is basically Ian Anderson and his solo band, with no other past Tull members. The artist listing on the BluesFest website now has it as Ian Anderson Presents : Jethro Tull 50th Anniversary Tour.

On 2/16/2018 at 6:31 PM, bouche said:

I am perplexed at the fact that I've never seen Bryan Adams live.  While I'd never search out a show, this opportunity cannot be missed for me.

Interesting fact, Kevin Breit's brother Gary is Adam's long-time keyboardist.

Am I the only one who remembers the Breit Brothers as a band? I seem to recall the keyboard playing brother being a pretty good singer. (They had a great cover of "Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing" on a Neil Young tribute album.)

7 hours ago, Rob Not Bob said:

Am I the only one who remembers the Breit Brothers as a band? I seem to recall the keyboard playing brother being a pretty good singer. (They had a great cover of "Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing" on a Neil Young tribute album.)

I have a Breit Bros. LP.

" Psyched to see the Foo Fighters finally coming; that should be a fun rock and roll show. "

That's the one this lineup is all about as far as my money is concerned. Nothing against Beck and War On Drugs and Sturgill but this is it. Foo Fighters put on a fucking killer show if you like balls out rock and roll with melody. Dave Grohl knows how to own a crowd. I might walk into that show naked because there is a good chance I will be stripping my clothes of anyways so why waste time?

This is all you need to know

Here's one from a previous Letterman thing when they did a mini-concert and did a Beatles thing (Letterman loves the Foo, perhaps more than I do)

These guys have jammed with pretty much everyone we all love. That's how much respect they have been afforded in this world. As far as I am concerned this is some big shit coming to Ottawa. When you can get Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones playing Zeppelin tunes with you and have Sir Paul McCartney write a song with you.......well, that's when you have done something to make a mark.

Dave Grohl stated he thought he had finally made it, former Nirvana drummer for those who forgot, when he toured as an opening act for Bob Dylan. It was the first time he was introduced to their music and Bob Dylan wanted to meet him prior to one of the shows. He told Grohl how much he loved Everlong and wondered if it would be ok to cover it some day.

I have some killer tickets to shows within the next 4 months, dead center front row Jeff Tweedy tickets for fuck's sake comes to mind, but this is easily the one I am most excited for in 2018. It's not even close. This is the only band I know of who could pull off a stunt like this projecting the Beatles. It is real asshit.