Jambands.ca

Ottawa Bluesfest 2018 Official Thread

bouche

3 minutes ago, Hartamophone said:

You probably know this, but when he asked them to play his first show back after his heart attack they left Australia in the middle of a tour (and cancelled their remaining dates) to fly to New York and play the show. 

Yeah. So apparently he told that story in a clip that’s already in this thread. Also apparently it was South America, not Australia. Swing and a miss.

Love you Hartamophone!

By the way, there is a super quick picture of Phish on the marque during that Everlong, which I am assuming Hart is referencing. The fact it is so quick tells the Letterman tale. God bless every mother fucker who has watched that video and the subsequenters. I'm gonna be partying hard for this Foo show. I tell you what.

Hart........check out the backing band Dave Grohl has here. Pretty sure my brother will recognize these cats. I dare DatDonald to pull something like this off

Hey cuz, that's my worry about Sturgill Simpson. I am terrified his billing is the same time as Beck.

Same night. I am blindly assuming it is and sadly I will be skipping Sturgill because I absolutely have to see Beck. I am not missing that set for anyone and I fucking LOVE the Sturge.

3 hours ago, Northern Wish said:

Greta Van Fleet is to Led Zeppelin as The Black Crowes were to The Rolling Stones. A damn good thing.

Just heard them on the radio this weekend.  Crazy how Zep they are.  My nephew and his wife are coming to Ottawa for their set so I'll be checking them out.

• 4 weeks later...

RBC Bluesfest organizers today announced the addition of ‘fest favourites, Blue Rodeo. Since the festival’s inception, Blue Rodeo has repeatedly charmed, thrilled, and outright rocked RBC Bluesfest audiences. They’ll be appearing on July 12.

It’s great to have Blue Rodeo back after a few years’ hiatus from the line-up,” says the festival’s executive and artistic director, Mark Monahan. “Their live show ranks right up there among the best we’ve staged—it’s a performance I personally look forward to whenever they’re here, and it always seems to get better!” This year should be no different as the band will be rolling out tunes from their latest album ‘1000 Arms’, which is receiving rave reviews.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=n7Cvntzojr4

Other acts added since the initial launch include: Common Deer (July 8); Eat A Peach: Allman Brothers Band Tribute (July 12); Hunter Siegel and Chuurch, presented by Deadbeats (July 13); and Lilly Hiatt (July 14).

In other news—due to a scheduling conflict, Shaggy will not be able to perform at this year’s festival.

Also of note, the first day of the event (July 5) will feature an opening ceremony showcasing Algonquin-Anishinabe Youth Hand Drummers from Kitigan Zibi and Barriere Lake

As in previous years, the festival continues to add acts to their line-up after the initial launch. For those who haven’t already purchased tickets, this makes it even more compelling to get some. “In recent years, our multiple 3-day ticket packages have become the most popular purchase,” says Monahan. As always, prices are subject to change, so I suggest folks snap these up sooner than later.”  

Details can be found on the ‘tickets page’ on the festival’s website.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Cool Citizen article about the history of the festival:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/the-story-of-bluesfest-how-a-small-little-ottawa-music-show-became-a-juggernaut?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1530623150

Monahan calls the turnout for Furthur in 2019 “a disaster.” Thanks for nothing, hippies. 

17 hours ago, Hartamophone said:

Cool Citizen article about the history of the festival:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/the-story-of-bluesfest-how-a-small-little-ottawa-music-show-became-a-juggernaut?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1530623150

Monahan calls the turnout for Furthur in 2019 “a disaster.” Thanks for nothing, hippies. 

Furthur didn't seem entirely disastrous bad to me. Must've been at least 4000 on the pitch. You would think Monahan would consider Widespread Panic the 'Hippy Disaster' night..  that was a dark evening, turnout wise. Attendance at the main stage felt like it maxed out at 300 peeps.