Jambands.ca

Ottawa Bluesfest 2018 Official Thread

bouche

Yes brah! Can't wait. 

Also a reminder that the ABB tribute Eat a Peach is Thursday. After their Bluesfest set they're playing a proper two-set show at the 27 Club. I'm going to give that its own thread, just in case potentially interested parties aren't opening this thread out of fear of Bryan Adams recaps and lawn chair soliloquies. 

2 hours ago, Freak By Night said:

My brother is taking the train from Toronto specifically to see the Eat a Peach set at the Bluesfest.

He's going to be thrilled about the after-party at the 27 club!

Nice! Glad to hear it. It was pretty disappointing to see their set cut short last year. Pretty great that they're back for a double-shot this time around. 

4 hours ago, Hartamophone said:

DMB was dope. The horns were super tight, and the new keyboard player (Buddy Strong) pushes things to a different level. And Carter Beauford alone was worth the price of admission. Great times.

I have a pass for tonight so I think I’m going to go for Eat a Peach and maybe some of Blue Rodeo.

3 hours ago, phorbesie said:

That was my first DMB show and I thought it was fantastic! Really full sound, great interplay, jamming, funky, jazzy... Imprssed. Would definitely go see them again!

Thanks for your thoughts. I saw them in Toronto on Tuesday and had the same feeling walking out that you both relayed here but then I heard from a friend today that thought it was utter garbage at Bluesfest. Just getting a second opinion that I wasn't totally off base or way more drunk than I thought I was.

Interestingly, I also spoke with another friend who is a big DMB fan and I asked him about a possible jam of Free by Phish that I swore I heard during the end of Grace is Gone. He confirmed that he was freaking out a bit too. If they did it was super well placed: after speaking about the shitty things happening in the US, then playing a song that seemed to echo his pre-song statement and then reminding us Canadians that we are Free. Totally tin foil hat territory but who knows right?

15 hours ago, Velvet said:

I was shocked at how much I liked DMB.  The horns added a lot.

Great band.

I haven't been an active fan since probably 2004, and haven't seen them at all since 2008. Their sound has evolved quite a bit in that time. When Tim Reynolds first came on as a permanent full-time member, he was just screeching over top of things quite a bit, with heavy distortion. He seems to have toned things down in the past few years, and is giving the songs a little more room to breathe. Playing off the horns seems to be working for him. In terms of the horns, no disrespect to Leroi Moore, but Jeff Coffin's jazz chops have added quite a bit to the dynamic, and taken things in a more focused direction in terms of the band's improvisation. I loved watching Reynolds, Coffin, Rashawn Ross (trumpet) and Buddy Strong (keys) bouncing the musical beach ball around over the course of the show. And Carter Beauford is the same monster he's always been behind the kit. It was a really great time, and I think I'll try to see these guys again before another ten years is up. 

On another note, was anyone else at the Black Sheep Stage for Eat a Peach on Thursday night? What a fun set, with as big a crowd as I think I've ever seen at that stage. 

Edited by Hartamophone

Sturgill Simpson followed by Beck was out of this fucking world.

I only went 3 days but that was the best Bluesfest musical experience in many many years. I went for my favorites, War On Drugs Foo Fights Sturgill and Beck, but discovered a new favorite live band called Brockhampton. Their shit was seriously lit. Entire young crowd hopping in harmony. 

Echoing existing sentiment, but the show that completely blindsided me was Lighthouse. After great sets by Town Cryers and Eat A Peach, I was figuring I would stay for 2 songs and check out. Stayed for the whole set and was blow away by the musicianship and energy. They mentioned next year would be their 50th anniversary, I hope they can make it back for one of the festivals.

So let’s talk dream acts for next year. My top three:

Paul McCartney (hey, it could happen)

Greensky Bluegrass (would love to see my current favourites in my hometown) 

Nathaniel Rateliff and the Nightsweats (yeah, they played Cityfolk last year and are hitting the Bronson Centre in the fall, but still. They’d be pefect.)

The big guns I had been hoping for the last decade were Tom Petty and the Foo Fighters. Both happened in consecutive years so my wishes have been fulfilled. Sir Paul seems too big for Bluesfest but you never know. I'm with you Hart because of how much I want it but that one seems like it is too much of a reach. His shows are massive and that night would sell out in seconds while costing the organizers a ton of money which would take away from the rest of the artists we would want to hopefully see. Give me Greensky and Nathaniel Rateliff without any scheduling conflicts with Sir Paul and I am all in.

My new hope for the big dawg is Radiohead based on how things are run these days.  It wont be next summer, since they are on tour in Canada as we speak, but maybe some day. Watch Quebec infiltrate the fuck out of that one in Ottawa.

They're their band. 

Edited by Booche

Macca would be great, yet it's hard to imagine how Bluesfest would accommodate Macca attendance. They'd have to redesign the entire layout to fit in at least 200,000 people! 

I would love to see Ryan Adams join the line-up but would certainly rather an NAC show.

More longshots - The Slip, Surprise Me Me Mr. Davis, some kind of Marco Benevento ensemble, Garaj Mahal, and of course Bluegrassy High.

I always would have thought Macca was too big for Bluesfest. But the Foos played to 50,000(ish) people at SkyDome the same week they were at Bluesfest, so clearly it’s capable of handling stadium-sized acts and attendance.

Obviously Sir Paul is a bigger draw than Grohl and Company, but given that he doesn’t have a massive stage production, I don’t see why it would be unattainable. Yes, it would be a near-instant sellout, but so what? I suppose the one concern would that be it would overshadow the rest of the festival, but I don’t see that as a major issue. And they could charge whatever they wanted for single day tickets that day, and even have them exempt from full festival passes if they wanted. 

I realize it’s a long shot, but with the way the festival has gone in the past couple of years (fewer stages and bigger headliners) it seems more doable now than ever.

But yeah. Greensky, please.

I love your enthusiasm and hope Hart  because I would love to see Sir Paul at Bluesfest as well but I simply dont think he plays gigs that 'small'. Give me JRAD on the Blacksheep stage and I might turn into that guy who takes off all his clothes.

Ryan Adams is a great call depending on who he is playing with at the time. He has reached out on social media recently in hopes of getting the Cardinals get back together which would be fucking amazing. I dont know him but his online presence suggests someone with a personality disorder due to his 'wildcard' nature. His music is brilliant but he cant hold onto anyone. 

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard would be a great addition, or in the same vein Tame Impala. Hopefully Ryley Walker will be at Bluesfest some day. He has a gig coming up in Montreal in November which NONE of us should miss. Small little bar. 15 bucks. Buy tickets now. He's a great follow on Twitter as well. 

Edited by Booche

On 7/19/2018 at 7:54 PM, Hartamophone said:

So let’s talk dream acts for next year.

David Rawlings/Gillian Welch - solo, duel or whatever band they have at the time etc.

William Elliott Whitmore

Tyler Childers

Not sure if all this would be too country-ish for Bluesfest though.  No sarcasm, serious question: are there any blues bands that play the main stages anymore?