Jambands.ca

Curveball!

Freak By Night

Wow edger you made out ok! Sounds like you got the news just in time to make some new fun plans. :)

we were very lucky also to have such a convenient plan B, and had such an awesome time cottaging by the lake.

disappointed about the lost Curveball shows, music, art, and fun. But feeling very fortunate with our situation. Thanks to everyone who made it happen.

Lotta good attitudes in this thread.

The band just announced that all Curveball ticket holders will be able to redeem the code on their wristbands for a free webcast of all three nights of Dicks. They'll also be launching an online store to sell the Curveball gear, with proceeds being donated to flood relief and recovery. 

http://phish.com/news/an-update-for-curveball-ticket-holders/

I ended up having a pretty amazing weekend actually amidst periodic moments of licking our wounds. Thanks Camp Canada and our American hangers-ons.

By Friday and in particular Saturday The Ledges was inundated with Curveball refugees and people had a lot of pent up energy to unleash. For those of you who may have forgotten or who haven't had the chance to appreciate Leftover Salmon they are still at it. I thought they brought some cosmic fire. Sweeney from Ekoostik Hookah sat in. He just exudes rock n' roll...the smoke, the slouch, the shag and the rip roaring unique approach to guitar. Was pleased to get the chance to see the Salmon again this summer after only getting to see half their set at Peach Fest so that I could head on over to see Phil & The Terrapin Family Band.  

Got up early enough for yoga on the beach, followed by a beautiful swim, a well-timed and always thoughtful breakfast sandwich from chef c-towns, another swim, a super restorative and opening round of thai massage, some more day trippin.  Just in the zone. So much energy to lap up and radiate out. So many laughs. The Infamous Stringdusters were HOT!!  Holy moly do they ever have a talented band.  Every member.  But dobro and fiddle especially. I hadn't seen them since 2011 at Delfest before they really broke. They were on the rained out side-stage at that time and essentially played to a small crowd in a small circle.  I recall them really standing out to Schwa, c-towns and myself at that moment.  And sure enough not long after they  launched and scaled up significantly.  It was a treat to finally get to see them again and they were absolutely loving and appreciating the crowd.  They weaved in a bunch of phish covers including Free, Possum....and hmmm memory failing me at the moment but at least 1 or 2 more, in addition to Cumberland Blues, Terrapin tease, etc. and of course their own material. Just an all around great show.  

Wound down a bit to the super cute and wholesome Bluegrass Sweethearts that I was pleasantly surprised to find out were the parents of Jessica Lea Mayfield and David Mayfield.  Jessica I have seen open for the Avett Brothers at a very young age, and David Mayfield whose current band I am less familiar with/drawn to was formerly of Cadillac Sky.  I had the privilege of seeing Cadillac Sky years back with Mumford and Sons and without knowing who they were at the time they absolutely blew me away. Their album Letters in the Deep is absolutely fantastic if you can ever get your hands on it... But unfortunately they disbanded not long after which was a real surprise and shame given their talent and unique sound. Anyhow I digress... 

Met some wonderful people, many of whom had traveled from the other side of the country for phish and luckily stumbled upon the sheer gem that is Nelson Ledges.  We (The Blurry Pickers) had played there just a couple weeks prior, opening for John Kadlecik band which included Jay Lane on drums, keyboard player from Disco Biscuits and Wavy Dave (banjo player from Cornmeal) on the bass.  That was also a fantastic weekend that I never did get around to posting around...but point is, you've got to get yourselves to the Ledges.

Was hoping my post would have hooked a couple of you folks into making the trek over, but glad to hear it sounded like you fared well in your own adaptive capacities.

It was a shocking jolt to have such a build up to the magic of phish, their music, and the collective energy of tens of thousands of people ripped out from under us.  It really was something to grieve, but maybe something is gained from shaking things up and forcing people to change their trails and encounters and all that.  Who knows... ended up feeling grateful that weekend thanks to good people, a great magical quartz infused venue and some kick-ass jamgrass bands.  Sooooo happy we didn't just go home or I may have had one bitter rant to share instead.

I sure hope we get another pitch thrown at us next year though...here's hoping

True, but we have had incredible luck with securing what has become "Camp Canada" at the back of the camping area.  Only ones to keep us up back there really is ourselves jamming around the fire. I have a feeling the crowd varies significantly depending upon which event is being put on. 

I feel fairly certain I will be back there. 

• 9 months later...

Almost a year later...no curveball this year but looking forward to Toronto and Blossom. Next week folks!

In the meantime stumbled across a good piece on the role of phish in paving the way for Bonnaroo

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2019/06/11/bonnaroo-2019-how-phish-paved-way-for-festival/1417421001/?fbclid=IwAR1r8GgVXZZTTsGFNGdgtBroU--_qKzzyE38-YBiYOBliHp-_eqgc6inrjU