Jambands.ca

Outlaw Music Festival

Freak By Night

On 9/14/2018 at 3:32 PM, Esau. said:

Seeing that so many folks are into Sturgill Simpson, do yourselves a favour and check out Tyler Childers. He's been dubbed a Sturgill prodigy, and Sturgill produced his most recent (last fall) album. 

And he's playing the Danforth Music Hall in Toronto on Friday, October 19th

https://tylerchildersmusic.com

SPAC was a great time!
Gorgeous day, ate BBQ, very chill older crowd, lots of GD shirts. Nathaniel Rateliff's set was plagued by bad sound, so not great. Sturgill's set ripped. So so loud, almost too loud. Well yes it actually was too loud, but I like it loud so... He was awesome. Neil and the Promise of the Real was undoubtedly the best set of the night. The Four Neils, haha, you know how he does a lunge, bend over, thrash on guitar, lunge and stomp, etc. So he was doing that but so were the three other guys up front (Lukas, the other guitar player and bass player). they were all dressed similarly and sometimes when they would get into a circle or huddle and all four be doing the lunges and jumps it was just sooo funny. Tell Me Why, Heart of Gold, Powderfinger, Lotta Love, Show Me, Are you ready for the country, Love to Burn, Ohio, a new song, and I'm forgetting a few. Closed with a great Rockin in the Free World. Willie's set was Ok. His age is showing in his playing and his voice is not strong, there were some nice singalongs, but overall a mellow set, a family vibe. Beautiful night with an almost full moon in the sky. 

Cool. Might have been a not so smart uncertainty on my part but I was wondering whether the promise of the real included Lukas when they play with Neil. Sounds like a rockin great set list. I can imagine a significant mellow contrast with Willie to follow. I actually thought his voice sounded great in Toronto particularly given his age. His guitar playing has some odd tempo hiccups for sure. 

It's been a while since I've seen Neil now...

Wow, TTB tribute. There's a good idea. Definitely need more cover bands. Why not assemble an 11 piece band that plays their own music, rather than put so much effort into attempting to recreate really really good music played by really really good musicians? You got a guy that can play Derek or thinks he can? This I gotta hear.

1 hour ago, deranger said:

Wow, TTB tribute. There's a good idea. Definitely need more cover bands. Why not assemble an 11 piece band that plays their own music, rather than put so much effort into attempting to recreate really really good music played by really really good musicians? You got a guy that can play Derek or thinks he can? This I gotta hear.

Well, thanks for the encouraging words ?.  Hahaha, seriously, I play music because I love how it makes me feel and how it allows me to relate to my fellow musicians and the audience.  Sometimes I play original music and sometimes I put together a project such as this.  And yeah,  our guitar player doesn’t think he’s Derek Trucks.  But he doesn’t suck either ?.