Jambands.ca

A three-day cover band festival is coming to Ottawa

Hartamophone

No, really. Nostalgia Festival. August 24th - 26th at Lebreton Flats (for the out-of-towners, that’s where Bluesfest is). Tributes to Petty, The Hip, The Stones (Blushing Brides), Fleeteood Mac, Madonna, Bob Marley, Elton John / Billy Joel, Rush, Queen, Clapton and more.

Can’t say I’ve Ever heard of such a thing, but I wish them well.

https://nostalgiafestival.ca/

1 hour ago, Davey Boy 2.0 said:

What You talkin' Bout?!?

Nostalgia Festival. August 24th - 26th at Lebreton Flats (for the out-of-towners, that’s where Bluesfest is). Tributes to Petty, The Hip, The Stones (Blushing Brides), Fleeteood Mac, Madonna, Bob Marley, Elton John / Billy Joel, Rush, Queen, Clapton and more.

Can’t say I’ve Ever heard of such a thing, but I wish them well.

https://nostalgiafestival.ca/

What an incredibly bad idea. Also, no dead cover bands? Isn't every other cover band in the world now required to be a dead cover band? If not, we sure could use a few hundred more.

Also it says that the bands are "nearly as good as the original." Wow, that is a bold claim. Can I get my money back if they aren't?

Edited by deranger

I wish them well, I really do.

But I’m having a hard time figuring what their target demographic is. “Serious” music fans aren’t likely to be tempted, and I don’t know that the classic rock radio crowd will be motivated to get out for it. Maybe for one or two of these bands in a bar for ten or fifteen bucks, but for a full day or weekend at a festival site? I don’t know.

But hey, like I just said elsewhere, if a bunch of Supertramp fans want to stand around in a field for three days, God bless ‘em.

7 hours ago, Freak By Night said:

I know their target demographic - music fans who think they are "serious" music fans, but really are not.

And that demographic just isn't that big in this city. I can't see this festival being very successful.

And yeeeeeeeet I've heard numerous crochety old men [insert ironic & hilarious comment here] say shit like "oh there's no good music anymore" when all they hear is pop music and such. the older crowd goes to about 4 websites, ever, and so is potentially never exposed to "new" "good" music. je te jure.

I'm guessing that this will flop but as time turns elastic I continually find evidence that proves that I know nothing about the music business.  Maybe this festival will prove me right about being wrong, but I doubt it.

Now, if this fest was being held somewhere much more rural where people had little or no access to actual real-live touring famous musicians, well then this fest might be a winner.

18 hours ago, Davey Boy 2.0 said:

And yeeeeeeeet I've heard numerous crochety old men [insert ironic & hilarious comment here] say shit like "oh there's no good music anymore" when all they hear is pop music and such. the older crowd goes to about 4 websites, ever, and so is potentially never exposed to "new" "good" music. je te jure.

Pretty sure I dated 'her' for a while.

6 hours ago, Velvet said:

Now, if this fest was being held somewhere much more rural where people had little or no access to actual real-live touring famous musicians, well then this fest might be a winner.

This sort of thing has “Truro” written all over it.

Then again, a smaller market might have more per capita interest, but would it have the sheer numbers to support it? 

Also, from a quick look it appears that all of the acts are represented by the same agency. I’m not sure what that means, if anything, but I found it interesting. The company has a huuuuuuuuge roster of tribute acts:

Booking House Inc.

Edited by Hartamophone

I just don't know one can call their festival a cover band festival without a killer Beatle cover band. I'd go see that.

The Blushing Brides have been around for so long.  I had no idea they were still playing.  I saw them in '89 or '90 in Kingston.