Jambands.ca

Petition- Bring Back KevO's Page!

shainhouse

KevO's page was great for sure, I really enjoyed helping to run it while Kevin was away.

On Jamaholic.com I'm trying to do my best to keep track of the Toronto area events. I know I'm lacking with the jazz stuff, Tovi and Jesse were great sources for the jazz goings ons.

But... To be honest there really isn't much going on around here these days. Things have been pretty quiet, and don't seem to be picking up much.

quote:

Again Secondtube, if you need to list more events than there are listed in 4 cities, you can do a search in the events page and see all of the shows in Ontario, or just specific cities, venues and bands. It's pretty darn flexible.

relax. i all said was i third that nomination....

getting a little touchy are ya....

i'm sorry so many people would rather have the ole' html. don't get pissy at me.

Hey now.

KevO's page was a valuable resource thanks to all his efforts. He's still providing all of the info that he can, and everyone thinks that he's doing a fantastic job. I for one love all of his descriptions. No one can do them like that.

Again Secondtube, if you need to list more events than there are listed in 4 cities, you can do a search in the events page and see all of the shows in Ontario, or just specific cities, venues and bands. It's pretty darn flexible.

I think Kevo's away seeing phish, so stop pestering him [Wink]

It does take more than one person to make sure that all the shows that are of interest are listed. If you wanna help cover an area or 2, email kevo and I and we can set it up.

quote:

What's pissy about a daily tip? [Confused]

Shainhouse, email me and we can set something up for you to enter shows as well, if you're interested.

How about a few links to a bigger,stronger database..like jambase,,its already in place and most folks probably check it out anywaze.. You guys do so much work already,,just set up a few provincial and state links on your home page and mision acomplished.

Later daze,,Budzz

Happy New Year! [big Grin] Well I guess there are a few things to say about this. Last Spring, before I joined up with Bouche and Mark, I was this close to hanging up my sneakers and saying "see ya" to my page and any kind of page at all. I was probably just going to find someone who wanted to do it and say "here ya go, have my page". Why? Cause it took forever to update and I was simply sick of doing it. I was the show page's bitch. You should've seen the ridiculously messy and un-logical way that I went about updating that page.. It was all done in Netscape Composer, and I don't know any programming of any sort, so it was a real headache. I wasn't about to put up the money to have someone design me a nice modern webpage either.

Around the time of the May CTMF, Bouche and Mark asked me to join on with them instead -- they were working on a comprehensive, searchable shows database that would be easier to run (just fill in a simple form) and by having programmers on board the page, there was room for expansion and new ideas to grow. So thats how it happened.

I can understand why some people preferred my page. It was all right there - easy and straightforward. In my opinion, The Watchtower is cool (I like clicking on a show to reveal the info box with links in it, etc) but it isn't comprehensive. The Events Seach, on the other hand, is very comprehensive and (as Bouche mentioned) is very flexible in its seaching capacity but to me seems a bit too dry, unattractive and JamBase-like.

Things change, we all see what needs to be improved and fixed up. Your feedback and new ideas are vital. The current set-up is not the permanent set-up! It just takes time.. Especially with only one man running the entire site, its look, programming and most of its features -- it would be like a full-time job without any salary, which makes it hard to eat and whatnot.

Flame mail me at kevo@jambands.ca" target="_blank . [Wink]

Just a few other things:

- I've been on holidays for a few weeks without access to a good computer, so the Ontario listings have been untouched for a while. I know the Events Listings are sorely in need of an update. This is on its way! Expect a full update on Sunday or Monday once I've gotten back to Peterborough.

- Besides the above-mentioned need to update, the Ontario listings found on jambands.ca are every bit as comprehensive as the listings were on my own page. There's nothing that I don't include on here that I would've included on my own page.. The lack of a big list of great upcoming shows to gaze upon is not the result of my page going down, but as Trevor mentioned, there simply are not very many big tours coming our way anymore. Have no fear - when Max Webster reunite or when Helix books another tour, you be the first to know! It all depends on people (aka -- you) emailing me with the info. One thing that was good about my old page was that I'd get shows listed really quickly after they'd been announced (or even before being announced publically). I had readers emailing me all the time with upcoming show info. Unfortunately, pretty much everyone has completely stopped doing this. Not sure why.. Shain, towards the end there your emails were like the lifeblood of my page!

- The jazz listings were good indeed. I used to get info on the Toronto jazz shows from Jesse Markowitz, who used to email me all the time (and took over the page for a while). Unfortunately, he stopped emailing, so... Good idea though - I'll get in touch with Jesse and see if he wants to get involved again.

- I cover the Ontario listings (minus Ottawa, which Sharon does) as well as Montreal. The Montreal listing is definitely not as comprehensive as it should be. Any volunteers to cover Montreal/Quebec? Weezy and Solar Garlic have BC and Alberta covered. Anything East of Calgary all the way to Thunder Bay, as well as all of the East Coast, is for the most part not listed.. This is due not only to a lack of info but also due to a lack of any signs of interest from readers and bands alike. Is there anyone on jambands.ca from Saskatchewan or Manitoba? I know there are a handful of East Coasters, and if they'd like to do some listings, please get in touch.

KevO,

Thank you for your thorough reply to this thread - I was just going to sit down and write something when I read your 2 replies. You have covered pretty well everything that I wanted to say.

When KevO, bouche and I merged forces, I wanted to ensure that our merged site included show listings ... kind of a hybrid that combined the database-oriented nature of jambase with the personal touch that KevO's page had. I think that we're headed that way, but yes, there is still plenty of room to improve. Unfortunately, managing a site like this takes time, and basically this site is a labour of love, rather than a labour that makes money. So there are only so many hours in the day to get things done.

I am constantly amazed at how much time and energy bouche puts into this site - he is "the man" that makes this site tick. I know that he has plans for the next generation of this site, but again, there are only so many hours to get things done.

I do think that this site contains a pretty slick database that has the potential for a comprehensive show listing with great commentary about the shows. Please do email KevO if you have Ontario show info to pass along. And if you are inspired to do so, consider writing a little blurb to go with the listing. I was a huge fan of KevO's page, which is why I asked him to join up with jambands.ca. I knew that he was considering packing in his site and I was glad that he was willing to join us, with the understanding that he'd have a time efficient method of updating show info.

Hopefully we (i.e. bouche [Wink] ) can take the many suggestions that KevO and I and everyone else give and build them into the next generation of this site.

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2003!!!

Peace, Mark

First of all I'd like to say that I love the watchtower and I use it pretty much exclusively for finding all my Canjam events.

I think all we need is this link on the front page somewhere in the watchtower area. It lists all the shows just like KevO's page used to. Currently you have to drag your mouse over the 'Jambands' link at the top of the page, click 'event search' and then click 'search'. I guess some people can't handle two mouse clicks. [Wink]

Once kevo decided and agreed to help run the watch tower, it became clear that it is a unique tool for people to take advantage of more than ever.

Originally, on phishsanctuary, there were 3 listings. Ottawa, kingston, to, and montreal. ( check out the wayback machine for a look )

I experienced what Kevo experienced. It took a really long time to put shows in there. I even added popups to that list which made it take even longer, but it was cool, so I had to do it. It probably took me about 10-15 minutes just to get the syntax right on some single entries.

One day I decided to figure out how to do it with a database and some ASP programming.

It took some time, but it was worth it. Now, instead of taking 5 minutes to add one show to the listing, it took under 30 seconds. That feature carried over to Jambands.ca after working with Mark, and we re-worked it as much as possible with the aid of Kevo.

The only trouble then would be getting all the shows for all areas and having them entered with a description. It certainly takes some time to build up a regular list of contacts that will send in shows.

Some bands have been using the interface to put in their own shows, and that REALLY helps alot.

Kevo has probably been putting in almost everything he would have with the Kevo page without burning himself out. He's one of the few people I've met with such an honest drive to get solid and great info out to all.

Of course he can't cover the entire country, and that's where Weezy, SolarGarlic, ms hux have been helping out.

I add shows when I can, but I think my descriptions suck.

There is a new and improved Watchtower in the works, and it will hopefully included a few selected and frequented US spots as well (like Higher Ground). Currently, the database has been sticking with any venue that is in one of our 10 non-arctic provinces.

Archived