Jambands.ca
Sign in to follow this  
Booche

It is the anniversary of 05-08-77

They were as tight as they got with 2 drummers but for my tastes, I always preferred the solo Billy years. 77 was a very strong year for Jerry, Phil and Bobby. Having said that, said trio were the band once one looks back at it with a discernible ear, minus the Pigpen driven years.

The Dead evolved throughout their career but 1977 was a water fallen crest-mark even I wont argue. Guaranteed it would have been a year I would have bitched about had I gone through it while seeing live shows. "What is this bullshit? Where did the exploration go?"

You are correct sir and your prompt to explain what that quote means is required .....thank you DB2.0 once again for pointing out that my intended messages either get lost or misconstruedly misunderstood.........

The Grateful Dead hit their highest of heights, from my perspective, prior to their hiatus at the end of 1974. "water fallen" in the above context refers to them as slowly dripping downwards, like a waterfall, while "crestmark" points to them having still maintained a peak that had been developed a few years prior. Having said that, any Deadhead will give you their opinion on when all of that happened. Luckily for us fans, they kept having some amazing shows/tours after that point. 

I could have simply wrote "it was the beginning of the end" but that wouldn't be accurate to how I feel while also sounding too Simple. 

Edited by Booche

8 hours ago, Booche said:

The Grateful Dead hit their highest of heights, from my perspective, prior to their hiatus at the end of 1974. 

... any Deadhead will give you their opinion on when all of that happened.

For me, The Grateful Dead hit those heights at a few different times through-out the years. Different line-ups, new tech, shifting social attitudes, drug addiction etc playing part in the evolution reaching those heights, for better and/or for worse. Forced to chose my favourite era I'd go with 69-72. Choosing a single point in time or even single year is impossible for me.

14 hours ago, Esau. said:

For me, The Grateful Dead hit those heights at a few different times through-out the years. Different line-ups, new tech, shifting social attitudes, drug addiction etc playing part in the evolution reaching those heights, for better and/or for worse. Forced to chose my favourite era I'd go with 69-72. Choosing a single point in time or even single year is impossible for me.

I love that time period, although my era would start in '68-'72, mainly because I've heard some great raw bluesy stuff from '68 that's right up my alley.

I am a MASSIVE fan of this version. Always have been, always will be. I was blown the fuck away the first time I got to see it on the Trucking Up To Buffalo dvd because I had already been sold on Maxell XLii's I owned. Killer version. 

Edited by Booche