Jambands.ca

New Billy Strings video "Catch & Release"

Jay Funk Dawg

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 2:48 PM, Jay Funk Dawg said:

Who's diggin' on this new bluegrass & jam star?

Over here, big time. Saw him a few times opening up for Greensky around 2017 / 2018, but he has obviously blasted off into the stratosphere since then, and for good reason. Crazy to see a jamgrass guy doing full-on arena tours, but it seems there's no stopping him. So much fun to watch. 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/2/2023 at 9:40 AM, edger said:

Awesome Hart. I haven't seen him since he scaled up so drastically but I hope to amend that. Curious based on your previous comment,  was there an official decision for him to no longer play dead covers? Lol Hope you're well!

Edger! Hi!

I hadn't seen him since he "scaled up" either. My last Billy shows prior to this run were probably around 2018 or 2019 when he was still opening up for Greensky. Whole different ballgame now. Quite a spectacle, in the best way. 

As for the Dead covers thing, there actually was a bit of a statement about it. Someone on IG noted that there hadn't been any Dead covers in a while. Billy himself commented to say it was a conscious decision on his part because, among other things, he grew tired of people yelling out requests for those songs at his shows and he wants to leave those songs to other people. He's done some great things with that catalog over the past 2-3 years especially, but I get why he would want to step back from it. Here's a little write-up about it:

https://www.jambase.com/article/billy-strings-grateful-dead-covers

Edited by Hartamophone

• 3 weeks later...