Jambands.ca

QotD: 2003.02.21

bradm

Here's yet another music QotD: What "best of" compilations do you own, where that record is the only one by that artist? Alternately, which artists would you consider could have a righteous place in your collection with just a "best of" CD. A multi-CD box set anthology is borderline, here.

For me, there are two I own:

• Squeeze / Singles - '45s and Under
  • The Smithereens / Blown to Smithereens

I'll also probably pick up the Alan Parsons project "Best of..." collection one of these days.

Aloha,

Brad

Oh my god Brad, I was just listening to 45s and Under for the first time in YEARS with a friend on Wednesday in her car (great driving music), and then brought it into work to rip into my collection 'cus I couldn't get "Is That Love" out of my head! That's a great Best Of, although I do miss some of the stuff from Frank, which is a great album that I have on tape somewhere...

I just got Queen's Platinum Collection recently 'cus I realized I didn't have any Queen on CD except for the Flash Gordon Soundtrack! [Razz] The collection is really good, but at 3 CDs it's approaching a boxed set - which I think is another QotD altogether. [Wink]

Peace,

Mr. M.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

Oh my god Brad, I was just listening to
45s and Under
for the first time in YEARS with a friend on Wednesday in her car (great driving music), and then brought it into work to rip into my collection 'cus I couldn't get "Is That Love" out of my head! That's a great Best Of, although I do miss some of the stuff from
Frank
, which is a great album that I have on tape somewhere...

I know where you're coming from. As a kid growing up during the New Wave (ca. '79-'83), Squeeze were mainstays; I've heard Difford and Tilbrook described as the Lennon & McCartney of the New Wave. They also strike me as a conumately British band; anytime I try to sing along with "Cool for Cats", I can't help but drop into that working-class pub accent, because singing it with a Southern Ontario accent just doesn't work.

I think my favourite tune is "Another Nail For My Heart", especially the way that guitar solo just rips it up right after the first verse. "Tempted" is also a beauty.

Aloha,

Brad

Guest Low Roller

Good question.

When I typically hear about a band for the first time I tend to buy their 'best of' album first, and if I like what I hear, I may venture into exploring their other albums.

- The Byrds

- Traffic

- Sublime

- Stone Roses

- Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

and believe it or not, Grateful Dead "The Arista Years" is the only actual GD CD I own. Everything else is scattered in mp3s.

Skeletons From The Closet. That's all the Dead anyone will ever need.

Also, who needs all those John Coltrane albums when you can find his best stuff on the 2001 release: The Very Best Of John Coltrane. Why spend all that money on all those albums when some music executive at Impulse Records " selects " what he thinks are Coltrane's 10 best. God bless Best Of's and Anthologies!

Hey Brels,

I think that Zappa's Strickly Commercial: The Best Of Frank Zappa ( which you own ) is a good compilation. But what I can't deal with is the shortened Montana, sans guitar solo. It's not as offensice as the shortened Won't Get Fooled Again or the 3 minute Light My Fire, but it's damn close.

Archived