Jambands.ca

Bit of time Wasting nonsense : guitarists!

kung

Definitely Lenny Breau. Good one Dave.

Must add Bill Frisell, Kevin Breit, Joe Pass, and Mark Knopfler.

For those not in the know, this isn't really an opinion based question, in that there is an undisputed answer to "who is/was the best guitar player who ever lived?" And the answer to that question my friends is The Humbler, the late Danny Gatton.

If you feel the need to argue, I suggest you do what most of the guitarists on these lists have done: listen to Danny Gatton and try to keep your jaw in your head.

The shame of it all is that Danny Gatton enjoyed virtually no commercial success, such that he worked his whole life in a sheet-metal factory, taking off only a minimal amount of time for touring. After begging his daughter not to pursue a life in music Gatton fatally shot himself in the head.

let us not forget some of the great Canadian Guitarists that are right under your noses all the time!!!!

martin tielli-reostatics (brilliant)

bruce cockburn (the master)

Cory Barnes ( this guy I know from Kitchener..seriously he actually was written about in Rolling Stone Magazine, he tried out for the Chilli Peppers when John F, quit. Now he produces in the K. )

Ah man, there's tons, most of the ones I think anything of, are not even famous in the least, some of the best guitarists just sit in there basement mastering there instrument and really never play for anyone.

After trying to ignore this topic for a few days, here's a few guitarists that should get mentioned, and some even rank amongst my favourites:

Jeff Beck - I think he's the greatest living " pure " rock lead guitarist

Richard Lloyd & Tom Verlaine of Television - not famous guys in a commercial sense, but they remain highly influential and innovative players and the music that they produced still influences today.

Chet Atkins

Doc Watson

Merle Travis

Nick Drake - understated and beautiful player

The Hellecasters: Jerry Donahue, John Jorgenson, Will Ray

Jerry Douglas - the Warren Haynes of bluegrass

Dave Davies - always underrated in the guitar-god world

Robert Johnson

Big Bill Broonzy

Charlie Patton

Magic Sam

Mike Bloomfield

Martin Barre - Jethro Tull

I could go on, but I want to add two great guitar solos that made songs unforgettable, and increasingly better:

Inca Roads ( You Can't Do That On Stage... Vol II ) - perhaps Zappa's best.

Machine Gun ( the original release of The Band Of Gypsies ): Jimi Hendrix - the greatest guitar assault ever recorded... just ask Trey, Miles ( I wish ), Vernon Reid, George Benson etc... what they think about it.

This one's for fun:

My Sharona: solo by Berton Averre - listen to this song again for anyone who doubts the greatness of Beron's playing. One of the all-time great power-pop solos.

Archived