Jambands.ca

Anyone listen to Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole?

photogeek

-

Just "discovered" this guys music a few days ago...he was from Hawaii (died in '97 of a heart attack...I wonder why!) and played a mean ukulele. He does a kick ass"Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful Life" that I first heard in an ER episode (the one in Hawaii when Dr. Green dies for anyone who cares!). I have finally tracked down this mans music and it is amazingly beautiful...everyone should check him out!

You can check out this site to here some sample tracks:

Mountain Apple Company

...and here's a video (Quicktime):

Iz video

Yeah, I've been a fan for a year or two now. In Hawai'i the guy is revered like Marley is in Jamaica, his funeral being the biggest funeral ever in Hawai'i. I have the Facing Future album, which has that awesome Rainbow/Wonderful World medley. If anybody is interested, there is only one dealer of Iz cd's outside of the US, and that is at Straight & Wicked, a very cool store just south of Sunnyside on Bank street in Ottawa, They have Iz stuff there (as well as unbelievable rock memorabelia - the place is like a Hard Rock Cafe garage sale; the owner used to be an entertainment lawyer) and exclusively distribute it to Canada and the UK.

Archived