Jambands.ca

Survival Tactics

Maddak

I've never been to On Tap, but you might want to try to engage in fun activities:

• dancing yourself into a frenzied oblivion
  • karaoke
  • video games / pool / foosball
  • etc.

Or consider it an opportunity to engage in some as-it-happens reportage: take a notebook (and/or digital camera) with you, and document what's happening and what you're feeling. Pretend you're a sober Hunter S. Thompson*

Aloha,

Brad

* OK, that's a tough gig...

Guest Low Roller

This always works for me

Step 1: Approach an unobstructed wall

Step 2: Place tip of toes against said wall

Step 3: Quickly and forcefull slam head forward against said wall

Repeat as needed. -

Don't worry Low Roller, I've been repeating those three golden steps all evening, and plan to all night. Maybe I'll forget what a crappy bar I'll be in.

As to snooting myself in the foot.. I'm not really sure what that is, but I have a feeling that my friends wouldn't even let me use that as an excuse to get out of the obligation. It's like a dozen against one in favour of going to this bar (I would of course be the odd one out).

quote:

3rd: Avoid the dance floor if you can. Think of 100 sweaty hot dogs and 100 Brittney Spear's wannabe's crammed into a small, hot space.

That's what scares me!!

I wonder if they have a back door or a small window I can squeeze out of.. maybe I can hitch my way to some muffin tonight???

Okay Maddak,

I've been in this situation myself at the same bar.

First off: stay calm - the young drunken frat can smell fear.

2nd: Do NOT wear revelaing clothing. This makes you a definite booty target.

3rd: Avoid the dance floor if you can. Think of 100 sweaty hot dogs and 100 Brittney Spear's wannabe's crammed into a small, hot space.

4th: Once your friend is in a satisfactory drunken state, drag her to a real bar.

quote:

Originally posted by Maddak:

As to snooting myself in the foot.. I'm not really sure what that is...

For reasons unknown to me, the act of sneaking your own booze into a venue (to be consumed with mix bought at said venue) has become known as "snooting" (ISTR it also being called "snouting" at one point, but "snooting" seems to be the phrase that's been standardized on). The booze you bring is called your "snoots".

In Hampton, there was a fair bit of snooting going on, mostly because the venue was dry. Those who snooted used small water bottles, filled with vodka, and concealed them by tucking them into their socks, at the back, right up against the achilles tendon.

For one of the shows, Freeker actually (and intentionally) brought water, not vodka, as his snoots. He tucked the bottle under his chair, along with our jackets, misc. stuff, and other people's snoots.

You can guess what happened: During the show, and in the midst of a thirst so great it cast a shadow, Freeker reached under the chairs, grabbed a bottle, and chugged about half of it back. Unfortunately, it wasn't water, it was vodka (and 100-proof Smirnoff Blue if memory serves).

The act of accidentally chugging back snoots instead of non-snoots was dubbed "snooting yourself in the foot".

Aloha,

Brad

Back in the day (ca. '86-'91 or so) at Queen's, it was standard practise for Engineering students to fill up a 1L wineskin, jam it up under a hardhat, and bring it into football games.

I guess the ultimate snoot would be to use one of those cycling "camel pack" water containers (like this one), filled up with the beverage of your choice and worn under your clothes.

Aloha,

Brad

Guest Low Roller

It's funny that this thread was started by a non-drinker and slowly turned into a thread on how to sneak booze into places. -

It MUST be the week-end!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Low Roller

And since I need to kill another half hour at work I present the Dr. Seuss classic "Snoot in my Boot":

The bouncer is a brute.

The bouncer is a coot.

If only he knew that

I carry snoot in my boot.

I'll sing it on my lute

I'll toot it on my flute

What snoot is in your boot?

Only the best: Absolut!

I will not go dry,

And I will go kinda high

So everyone give it a try

and in your boot have some rye!