Jambands.ca

moe. cruise report

gentlemonkey

moeron and i just got back last night,

Lots of people asking me about this, so i thought I'd put a breif synopsis.. a setlist I saw on the phantasy tour board looks right, i added some comments (designated by the +). I had lots of fun, met some amazing folks, ate, and drank, probably more than i ever thought possible. Great seeing a show every night and then stumbling to your cabin, only to wake up in cozumel and jamaica.. Overall an amazing experience, completely exceeding my expectations, vacation-wise, and as a moe. fan. I'll skip everything about travel adventures, and the ports of call- too much to write about. I'll just stick to the music.

Langerado was a great fest, definitley 6000 people. Great spot in Hollywood FLA, away from the slums of downtown miami where the festival was supposed to take place, but was replaced with an electronic music fest.. (we still stayed at a hotel in the middle of that aforementioned slum-zone, expensive and scary).. Saw some Perpetual Groove, reminded me of Grand Theft Bus, without the new wave musicality, and originality- still a great band though. then G.Love and Special Sauce- neat hip hoppy bluesy kinda thing, a little boring after a while, but what isnt..then over to cake, who were amazing- they were late due to descrepincies with the promoter and air plane issues- and let us all know, hilariously. they made up their setlist on stage, and demanded rage in the singalongs. The singer John Mcrae announced he smelt Marijuana smoke, and then said he'd be calling the police as soon as the show was over.. it was great. They announced they are taking a grassroots approach and getting away from their major label. I encourage you all to listen to cake, buy their new record when it comes out in July- (two tunes they played were great) or sign up on their mailout at cakemusic.com. went over and caught moe. at the mainstage-

3.6.04 Langerado Festival

1 Set: McBain, Not Coming Down> Wormwood> Okayalright, Bullet> Tailspin, #Good Guys and Bad Guys> #Fire on the Mountain> #Good Guys and Bad Guys, Opium> St. Augustine> 32 Things> St. Augustine

Encore: Meat

# With Cracker dudes on VOX, and bass

+ I was really drunk for this show- loved the mcbain opener thru tailspin. But the cracker sit in felt like the majority of the set, and it stung. The Opium- end was great. shortest meat ever, like 5 minutes!

Taxied back to hotel, drank more, hung out with a dozen new friends, passed out.. woke up with a brutal hangover, found out I'd ordered 3 large pizzas, but everyone was past out before we could accept/eat em, so the driver just knocked and knocked and called and knocked... dont feel bad, they ended up on my hotel bill. put my booze into cleaned out shampoo bottles (2 40s- vodka and rye- no outside booze allowed)and set off for the pier.

cruising is fun when the entertainment is this good. The whole experience is something that I can see being a little boring without the exciting entertainment, and all the great people, but i didn't feel bored once. The food was ok (not good for veggies on this one) and the upgraded restaurants (10.00 bucks a head- all the buffets and regular dining rooms were free)were really good.. escargot and salmon filets and stuff.

Ok, now I'll just stick with the shows, cause it was a non stop adventure the whole time, except when I was packing the last day and watched 'Just Married' in its entirely- i'd like that 88 minutes back Jesus.

3.7.04 Stardust Lounge- amazing room. Like a shrunken Massey Hall with no seats on the floor. Big comfy seats in the balcony, with consistent service.. we were buying 6 packs of corona (with ice/lime and opener ) for 21.00 bucks. Sound was outstanding.. most nights had a theme, this one was (dress like a band member or a song, Kyla ruled as usual- as Ghost of Ralph's mom)

Set I: Head*-> Big World, Crab Eyes, Threw it all away!!!, Faker**-> Shoot First

Set II: Rebubula, Time Ed-> Where Does The Time Go-> Yodelittle-> Vinnie Solo-> Water -> Head

Encore: It

*with Yodelittle teases

** Al busts strings and changes to white guitar

+ This setlist pretty much says it all, amazing first night, probably best playing of the cruise definitley my favorite show..

3.8.04 Pool Deck (Super Hero Show)- tiny stage on the top of the ship where the house band would play reggae tunes in the after noon. There was also a band of bald asian men that played calypso there at least twice. amazingly intimate and chill.

Set I: Bring it back Home (short), NYC, Hi & Lo -> BYD, Kyle*-> Interstellar Overdrive**->Brent Black

Set II: Rec Chem^-> Lovelight^^-> Rec Chem -> Captain America, Happy Boy, Lost Along The Way, Spine-> Jazz Wank@-> Buster

Encore: The Weight

All members wore super hero T-shirts, Chuck Fantastic 4, Rob - Punisher, Al - Green Lantern, Jim - Batman, Vinnie - Flash

* Jim on mallet-kat

** with Shine On You Crazy Diamond tease

^ with Strangers In The Night tease

^^ yes they played all of lovelight, with Stir It Up teases

Between LATW and Spine Fire On The Mountain Teases

@ Jim on Triangle

+ this show was amazing, the stage size was tiny and only a couple steps off the deck. minimal lighting, but the sound was amazing. The show wasn't as outstanding as the night before, but it definitley felt really special to be seeing it. The weight encore had us all singing.

3.9.04 Stardust Lounge (this was the formal night)

Set I: Kidz -> Y.O.Y. -> Puttin' The Boy Down, Harder They Come, Opium*-> She Sends Me, Tailspin -> Timmy Tucker**-> Tailspin -> Kidz

Encore: Nebraska

*with Bathtub Gin and Low Rider Teases

** with CIA teases

+Rob forgot almost all the words to Nebraska- his expression during it was a big hilight of the cruise.

3.10.04 Observation Lounge- They split the cruisers ramdomly into 2 groups.. we were in the first group, and then managed to wander in to the second set, conveniently after the repeats.

Show 1 Acoustic

Not Coming Down> Wormwood> Okayalright> Rumble Strip> Gone, Faker, 32 Things, Tambourine, Summer O' Why, Karma Police> Shoot First

Show 2 Acoustic

NCD->Wormwood->OKalright->Rumblestrip->Gone, So Long*, Icis**, Backwoods, Tambourine, Happy Hour Hero

* with Hava Negila Teases, NCD tease

** Jim On vocals, Chuck on Percussion

+ i thought the highlight was the feel change they gave to OKalright, like a rolling bluegrassy feel, it was awesome.

3.11.04 Stardust Lounge (Pajama night)

Set I: Spaz Rx -> TGORM, Akimbo, Blue Eyed Son, Understand-> Brittle End, Seat of My pants*->Mexico**->Four^->Plane Crash

Encore: Cajun Moon(+ big rarity)

*Sesame St teases, Dark Star Jam

** Stir It Up teases, Dark Star teases, Other One Teases

@ Strangers In The Night Teases

THey didn't play the friday night, and it was a good thing.. great chance to relax poolside. The day trips were all different and fun, (cozumel, jamaica, grand cayman, costa maya), and often dictated what variety of partying would be going down that night. Lots of variance which was good.

3.13.04 Stardust Lounge

Set I: Stranger Than Fiction, McBain*, Moth**->Livin' Again**->Happy Hour Hero**

Set II: Rise^->Sweet Emotions-> Meat-> Bullet -> Meat-> Moth

Encore: Rebubula**

* with Crosseyed and Painless tease

** with Jay of Nero on percussion (+this burly dude in a canada flag hat [Wink] )

^ with China Cat Sunflower teases

(+The second set was out of this world, and the Rebubula encore was unreal, this dude that is friends with the band names Malone took off his shirt and danced like Chris Farley in front of Al, Everyone was loving it. especially Rob, who was losing it.

To conclude, I get a vacation about every 5 years, I hope the next one is as memorable as this one. moe. rules!

well, Its hard to do justice to the week that just happened. It was a dream come true for me and about 780 other people. It was the closest thing i've experienced to Paradise. GM did a great job of summing up the shows, Big World and Threw it all away in the same set to start the week!!!! And it just went from there. The greatest sing-alongs ever!!! Can't wait for the next one! Thanks to the 3 Musketeers for the laughs 'CLEVELAND ROCKS!' [big Grin]

Thanks Jay! That was the first post I've printed and taken to the shitter to read!

I saw the pictures that freeker linked to, and wondered what all of the differnet venues were all about. Well, the picture is complete and we'll see you there next year!

Archived