Jambands.ca

Help stop these damn tears of mine.

Ms.Huxtable

I'm sitting at work with my office door closed and tears streaming down my face. Our kitty got hit by a car last night and after examination at an emergency animal hospital, we agreed that it was best to have her put down. She would have had to have her tail and back leg amputated and likely suffered some internal damage as well. Unfortunately it would have cost us well over $2000.00 to save her to a lackluster quality of life. I feel we made the right choice, but it still sucks so bad.

Isn't it incredible how humans and animals bond? I didn't think it would hurt this much to loose a pet, but she was something really special to me.

Goodbye my darling Althea, may you rest in peace knowing you were loved.

I'll miss our conversations (she was SO talkative). I'll miss playing fetch with you (rubber balls were her favorite toys, she would even put them in her mouth, walk to the top of the stairs and drop them down the stairs.... amazing)and most of all, I'll miss sitting on the sofa with her in my lap.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Oh, anyone in Ottawa need a HUGE 3 tier kitty condo, food, litter, scratching post, toys, etc.... let me know, it's hard to look at them so they have to go fast.

I am so sorry to be reading this............

I agree with ST though, dont get rid of the *toys* just yet. I know how much joy she brought you, it was apparent when we were last over. That fetch thing was beautiful.

Take care, and leave work for a while if you have to.

Guest Low Roller

That sux Ms.Hux [Frown]

Althea was definitely an energetic kitten that loved to cause trouble. I'll miss how she would lunge at my face when my hands were no longer an option...

Although I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision, you guys made the right choice by having her put down. It's the humanitarian thing to do.

So sad, sorry to hear that Sharron.

I've never had a pet so I'm not exactly sure what your going through but a bond is a bond so feel free to vent all you want. Like Andre said take some time away from work if you need it. Even if it's just an extra long lunch.

(((((hugs)))))))

I recently had to break the news to a complete stranger that her cat had been found at the side of the road (no, I didn't hit it) and I saw her heart break right in front of me. It was an awful thing to have to do, so I can only imagine what you're going through. [Frown]

Keep your head up, Sharon. So sorry to hear the news.

Oh Sharon, I am so so so sorry, my deepest condolences...I think I might cry myself thinking about your loss. I enjoy the companionship of a family of 3 kitties myself, and have often found myself panicked with the thought of this exact possibility. Please know that Althea was blessed with the love of very kind people during her time in this plane, and lived one of her many lives happy. Just let the tears flow... [Frown]

So sorry to read this Sharon. Losing the bond you had with your pet is the high price we pay as owners. Just think of all the special moments that created that feeling. It's gonna be hard for a while but the pain will fade with time.

I had to make the decision to put down my last cat. Always had a family cat but was never in a position to make that kind of decision. Was really tough. Spent an ungodly amount of money trying to save his life because I couldn't face the inevitable. Saying those words was impossible! But I finally realized it was the right thing to do.

You and Mike take care.

Sharon and Mike,

Sorry about your loss! Ollie just e-mailed to tell me the news. So I logged in to read the thread. I had tears going reading your post Sharon! As Ollie wrote, we went through hell about 4 years ago when Ollie's cat Leo got sick and we had to put him to sleep. It was so hard losing him! And we never ever thought we'd want another cat again. But here we are with Samson and Cleo!

Were you in the room when your cat was put to sleep? We were. It was so hard. We spent about 1 hour in the room after he died. That probably sounds really weird to people who don't have pets. We just couldn't leave the room. We have a bunch of videos of Leo - I still find it hard to watch those. Crazy pet people.

I feel your pain.

Sharon, you're living through one of my greatest fears right now. Human/non-human relationships tend to get really strong; in some ways even stronger than human/human relationships.

On behalf of cat lovers everywhere, thank you for loving your cat so much, thank you for doing everything you could to save you cat, and finally, thank you for putting your cats best interests first.

All relationships are transient, and all you can do is take solace in the fact that you bettered you cats life while your cat bettered your life. In the end I think that's what's important.

losing a pet can be totally devastating. Sorry to hear about this...when i had my old dog die it was one of the harder days in my life...

Don't get rid of the cat stuff though, get a kitten, you are obviously a wonderful person when it comes to animals, you really should have another.

Fiona gave me this to post ...

Beyond The Rainbow

As much as I loved the life we had and all the times we played,

I was so very tired and knew my time on earth would fade.

I saw a wondrous image then of a place that's trouble-free

Where all of us can meet again to spend eternity.

I saw the most beautiful Rainbow, and on the other side

Were meadows rich and beautiful -- lush and green and wide!

And running through the meadows as far as the eye could see

Were animals of every sort as healthy as could be!

My own tired, failing body was fresh and healed and new

And I wanted to go run with them, but I had something left to do.

I needed to reach out to you, to tell you I'm alright

That this place is truly wonderful, then a bright Glow pierced the

night.

'Twas the Glow of many Candles shining bright and strong and bold

And I knew then that it held your love in its brilliant shades of

gold.

For although we may not be together in the way we used to be,

We are still connected by a cord no eye can see.

So whenever you need to find me, we're never far apart

If you look beyond the Rainbow and listen with your heart.

Stumbling upon this thread after a busy morning sure swells up my eyes. Thanks to all for the moral support.

I never really liked cats.

Then we adopted one of the cutest little kitty's I've ever seen.

Then I learned that you really do get a real bond with cat.

I learned that cat's are wonderful.

I learned that you create a language with your friend as she grows. After playing "drop the ball down the stairs and bring it back up" olympics, she would lose it under the dishwasher. She'd come by and tell me with a certain noise, I'd go get it with the broom handle and she'd thank me with her "thank you" noise.

I learned that she really liked being with us as she followed us everywhere in the house, even to the bathroom.

I discovered that she liked to groom me. On the couch, she would lay on my chest and lick all over my beard and clean it for me.

She even began to understand and respond to phrases like, "where's mommY?". She'd run off to find Sharon, and I'd here Sharon say "Hi Mookie".

There were so many precious moments with her, and it was only a year. I'm thankful for those.

Ultimately I learned that I love cats, thanks to Althea.

Archived